Open Office Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, May 6, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Please forgive my ignorance here...

I have OpenOffice (3.2) on this machine.

That being the case, do I really need these three MS programs:

1. MS Office Word Viewer 2003
    2. MS ExcelViewer
    3. MS File Format Converters

- is it not redundant to have them since I already have OpenOffice?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Open Office will open documents from Word and Excel, if that is what you are asking. Not sure what you mean about the third.:confused
    :wave:wave

3. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

I`m sure opinions will vary, but in my opinion if you have to deal with various ms office documents from different years, I would keep em. The ms programs you show take up less than 100mb of space, and although OO is supposed to be able to work well with ms office docs, there could always be that one that it will have a problem with, and in that case you will have a backup ms program to work with. One time frustration of having a problem trying to make OO work with a ms office doc, and you`ll be glad you kept them. That said, it`s your system, and you`re really the only one that knows how you use it in conjunction with OO, and Microsoft Office docs.

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you both. I'm not really sure either.

I "think" (?) MS Office Word Viewer came with this Dell running Vista Home (which I purchased in January 2008). *Correction - it appears I downloaded this several months ago*

I believe I downloaded/installed Excel Viewer from MS (no charge/free) because I thought that I "needed" it.

And the MS File Format Converters was also from the MS website ... I downloaded it but have never installed it (not really even sure what it does...exactly??).

I don't work with (or very rarely would) MS office docs - just looking to cleanup the machine.

Lastly, it appears to me that MS has an updated Word Viewer anyway http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac&displaylang=en (I get soooo confused by all of this "stuff"?!?).

Thanks, I think I'm going to lose the MS stuff as I feel pretty comfortable with OO, and I think (?) I could get the MS stuff back from their website (for free) if I ever needed it (if I ever needed them) - correct?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good option Glenn, OO is good and is the best freeware option you can get to challenge MS Office, plus dont think there is an format from Office it cannot open*, but you are correct you can get the Viewers for Office apps back if you need them and the site is HERE

*Not tried a saved Office 2010 doc with OO yet, but they are .docx etc so should be fine.

6. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

Yea, I have decided to change my opinion , (reconsidered),that is what I would do, always an option, delete all your Microsoft Office software programs you have, and go all the way with OO. I mean what the heck, if you are only dealing with minimal amounts of docs, what the heck right, Microsoft will always offer support for all their software you will ever need forever right, just like support for all their operating systems since day one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds