Open Source or other free alternative to Adobe's Flash Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 16, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Due to the security vulnerabilities which are known to exist in Adobe Reader and Flash Player, I have dumped Adobe Reader in favor of Sumatra, a freeware open-source PDF reader that fit my needs perfectly. However, I'm now looking for a freeware or open-source alternative to Adobe Flash Player. My only usage of Flash Player is when I'm online; obviously I need it for all the web animations out there. I don't use Flash Player for any other purposes, either online or offline. A quick Google search provided some apps, but from my quick reading, it seems they are primarily for adding animations to your own web sites, and do not function as the Flash Player Active-X plug in does (at least I think they don't; and I think I'm looking for an Active-X plug in, right?). My primary browser is Firefox, Opera 2nd, and IE8 third (the only time I use IE is for Windows Updates), and my OS is x64 Win7 Home Premium.

THANKS!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's no freeware/Open Source alternative that I'm aware of, why don't you dedicate just one of your browsers for Flash viewing, you can download either the ActiveX version (for IE) or the Opera/Firefox plugin type, if you choose the latter, simply disable the plugin on your 'safe' browser.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:( That's what I figured....
    :) Good to know! But how long until a new 'hole' is found by the evil hole finders? LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds