Opening a program using a batch file

Discussion in 'Software' started by ITgirl, May 25, 2010.

1. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi All,

I am trying to write a simple batch file to open a program located in my c:\Program Files directory and keep getting an error. I have typed:

START /DC:\Program Files\<Program Folder>\<Program Exe>

Could someone point out what I'm doing wrong. I'm running the batch file on a Windows XP PC.

Cheers

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

try:
    CD C:\Program Files\<program folder>
    <program name>.exe

3. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

I tried CD C:\Program Files\<Program Folder>\<Program Name> and it doesn't work. I get the following error:

The directory is invalid. Any other ideas? I'm going to try running a program from the root folder.

Cheers

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You need to do these on two separate lines with a line return (enter) between them. The first line navigates to the directory (CD - Change Directory) and the second line tells the program to execute:

CD C:\Program Files\<Program Folder>\
    Then enter
    <Program Name>.exe

5. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Thanks! In the end I did what you said and used START <Program.exe> on the second line.

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Maybe I missed the START then, but at least you got it working. Great!:)

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You should try quoting a path that has spaces in it.
    Instead of
    C:\Program Files\CamStudio\recorder.exe
    That line errors
    "C:\Program Files\CamStudio\recorder.exe"
    This works fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds