opening ford service manual

Discussion in 'Software' started by nvrsbr@netzero.com, Aug 7, 2008.

1. nvrsbr@netzero.com

nvrsbr@netzero.com Private E-2

okay a friend of mine sent me a copy of the ford service manual cd-rom via largefilesASAP.com. it came as a compressed zipped folder so i "extracted all" to open it but i think im doing something wrong because i can only view some of the information contained in the manual and most of the files i try to open return a " microsoft visual c++ runtime error... abnormal program termination" message. so i was hoping that somebody here might be able to help me out. ideally i would like to send the file to somebody the same way it was sent to me, via largefilesASAP.com and see if they have any problem opening and viewing it.

any and all help with this is much appreciated.

thanx

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes a download can have a few coerupted files- I found that with XP sp3 iso.
    It could be worth downloading it again, and seeing if it does the same.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What types of files are these? Are they Adobe PDF files? Windows CHM files? Word DOCs? Maybe even PowerPoint files?

4. nvrsbr@netzero.com

well it comes as a compressed zip folder named "ford service manual" then i "extract all" which takes me to a folder called "tso" i open it and there 7 or 8 file folders and some files (3).ini, (2).dll, (1).exe, (1).pdf.
    there are also .asp, .scc, .htm, .gif, .css, .js, .jpg, .ufs, .uis, .uno, .cfs, .cis, .cno file types throughout the entire folder (4.21MB). its like all the infomation is there but scattered about needing to be assembled to become a comprehensive complete resource. but then again that is just a guess. and i just know that the only way im gonna get a solution to this is by somebody with an advanced computer skills and knowledge (and i figured this would surely be the place to find that somebody) actually sees the folder im dealing with first hand. so until that willing person comes along i am open to any suggestions/ fixes that someone may know from similar experiences or situations.

so thanx again in advance,
    nvrsbr

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The .exe file would appear to be the file to run to give you access to the full contents. Try double clicking it .
    The pdf should be readable with adobe reader, if you have not got adobe reader, look on majorgeeks downloads.
    The zip file just allows you to unpack the files.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  6. nvrsbr@netzero.com

thats exactly how i thought it was but when i try to open the .exe thats when i get the "microsoft visual c++ runtime error... (blah, blah) abnormal program termination"

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The date on this is 2007, so I'm not really sure if it applies to you.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538
    it also mentions SP2 and both versions of XP. If you run SP3, I'm not sure that this would apply either.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have all Windows updates, you may find the problem dissappears, but..............
    As PlodR has indicated, Visual basic C++ might just solve it. I have seen many references to C++ with similar problems, but also possible hardware issues, that are less likely with XP , but possible conflicts.
    Although you may get involved in programming, as such, Visual basic C++ version 5 does appear to help with some difficult .exe files
    I have version 5 , and it seems to work for me - you can download it from here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
    If you want to download the 2008 version, you can get it here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...amilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds