Opening ports without a router.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meepy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Meepy

Meepy Private E-2

Hey, I'am having a problem hosting a Counter-Strike: Source server. Infact hosting anything. I wanted to know if there is a way of opening ports without a router.

2. Meepy

Meepy Private E-2

Nope

--- heres how my ip config looks like ---

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Meep>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.179
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Meep>

--------------------------------------

As you can clearly see, there is no forwarding domain or ip to a router or bridge. Sooooo.... I conclude I have no router, or firewall.

3. Meepy

Meepy Private E-2

Nope no modom here either.

4. Meepy

Meepy Private E-2

Only switch and all it does is give 1G support for LAN.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

All the ports on the computer are always open.

The roll of a Router and or a Firewall is to close the ports.

If you do not have a Router or Software Firewall ports are not closed.

Link to: www.ezlan.net - Cable/DSL Routers - NAT & Ports.

:D

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try turning off all your firewalls, including the one that is included with XP SP2....and see what happens....

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, you can open ports up in the windows firewall with the following command....

netsh firewall set portopening TCP *portnumber* ENABLE

*portnumber* = actual port number.....

8. Meepy

Meepy Private E-2

I dont even have a firewall, All I have is a ethernet cable connected to my server, and from my server to the 1G switch, from my switch to me , to the wireless accepoint, and thats it!. The server doesnt have a firewall or router either. Just 2 1G ethernet cards.

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you have XP sp2 then you do have a "firewall", if you have XP sp1, then you have an "Internet Connection Firewall"....

10. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

the wireless accesspoint, mmight be ur problem because a router is required if you have wireless cards.

and im confused what kind of internet do you have dsl, cable 56k...

also try using the ip that whatismyip.com gives you to host ur css server ppl should be able to access that.

11. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Umm... if I read that correctly, one of the Ethernet NICs in your "server" attaches to your broadband connection?

That being the most mostly likely case, as you state that it has two NICs, then the routing is being done between them, by something.

It sounds like you're running IPCONFIG from the "non-server" PC attached to the switch. That being the case, then OF COURSE it's only going to show one IP address, as it only has one Ethernet NIC.

And, as Kaula correctly pointed out, the IP address you listed is reserved. By default, it cannot be routed across the public Internet at all, at least not by any self-respecting router that is properly configured.

So, the PC that has the IP address you gave is on a private network, behind a NAT of some kind.

With that in mind, in order to host a game server, there are a few scenarios:

If you're attempting to host the game on the "non-server" PC, then you have to configure whatever is handling the routing/NAT across the two NICs in your "server" to forward the port(s) needed from the outside NIC on the "server" (i.e. the NIC that talks to the Internet) to the IP address of the "non-server" PC hosting the game.

If you're hosting it on the "server", then you just need to configure the outside NIC to allow inbound connections on those same ports.

Unfortunately, without more information, I don't have any more advice to offer.

If you want to get it working, please post more information - the OS of your "server" would be helpful, as a start, along with the information that IPCONFIG returns when run from it.

dj

12. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you are connected to a server you must have Software Routing otherwise it would Not share the Internet Connection.

If you are using ICS to share. ICS is a software Router/NAT.

Mapping ports with ICS is a pain: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsconfig_maps.htm

If you are using other software fro Routing consult the program manual.

:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds