Opening the Local Group Policy Editor on Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mocefus, May 29, 2014.

1. Mocefus

Mocefus Private E-2

Does anyone know how to do this? I don't have the pro edition. The usual "Click Start , type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER ." isn't working as apparently the 8.1 update removed the gpedit file. The reason I need to open the group policy is to increase my bandwidth. I have several computers running win 7 without issues but my best computer in the office updated to win 8.1 and is the slowest to receive data. We are using a program called OfficeMate. Any interaction involving the pulling of data from the server on the Win 8.1 computer causes the bandwidth to drop down to dial up speeds. I have changed ethernet cords and even tried going wireless. I have a computer using the same ethernet cord thru a switch that is running fast as ever. Switching the cords at the switch did nothing. Any ideas how to take the governor off this baby?
    Thanks,
    Mocefus

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Source: http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/24934-find-local-group-policy-editor.html

Comparison of features http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#Comparison_chart

Supposedly there are hacks for Win 7 that are said to work on Win8. I don't have Win 8 to test this out.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have done it myself on win 8.1 pro and I have seen a difference straightaway. at first on the speedtest.net I was hitting around 130mb download but when i set the reserve bandwidth from 20% to 0% and done a retest I was hitting around 159mb download which is alot better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds