OpenSuse 10.2 Samba server with GUI Setup help

Discussion in 'Software' started by baradeithel, Feb 19, 2007.

1. baradeithel

baradeithel Private E-2

Hello every one

I am new to the linux world. I would like and have been trying to setup a network file server using OpenSuse 10.2 and samba with a gui interface. The GUI i have been using is KDE. I also dont need the firewall in linux running because it will behind a verey lockeddown Router. I all i realy want is somthing that open and easy to use. I am just going to use this machine to have the computers in the office to backup to. Any help i can get would be Great.

Also i do not have to use OpenSuse. it was recomended to me by anothere person i know that uses linux.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. GaryG

GaryG Private First Class

Check out this link - http://www.swerdna.net.au/linux.html

When you install suse 10.2 you are given a chance to select a number of servers to use it as and it will automatically install the required software.

I selected to build a file server (among others)

File sharing is the major stumbling block you will run into -- see swerdna's web site; he does a good job with that and samba.

For backup software, take a look at Bacula; It is a class act, but is a bit involved to set up

With samba, it is better to backup the samba config file and edit it directly --- the gui sometimes does some strange things with it

do a google search on "suse forums"; the first two entries are very good sources of linux information.

Gary

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds