Opera 7.0 Free version vs Pay

Discussion in 'Software' started by lostkiwi, Jun 13, 2004.

1. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

'Morning all.
    At the suggestion of users here, I have been using Opera for about a year. I am currently using my smaller monitor amd am losing a lot of screen space to the toolbars, etc. There is the dk blue top bar, File, edit, view etc, an advertising bar, open windows bar AND the forward/back, search etc. Takes up almost 2" and then at the bottom I put the task bar on auto hide so that helps. Everytime I try to configure the top bars myself it gets all messed up and their help isn't helping! I love using Opera, I find it very stable so I was wondering if anyone has tips on what I really need at the top and if anyone has the paid version, do they recommend it. Thank you. :)

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

if you like the software, and want to get rid of the banner, id reccomend getting the pay version. it will get rid of the banner, and help support the developers. also, have you tried 7.5, because that has a smaller banner

3. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

HIi Dan,
    Oops, my mistake I do have 7.5. Do you have the paid version?

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Luv that monniker. LostKiwi (in the USA). Can you borrow a bigger monitor and check out v7.5 on it. You may be able to pick up a bigger monitor at a garage sale and solve your problem. At least you will know how it looks on a bigger monitor before you outlay your cash on Pro version and still be unhappy with it on a small monitor. I don't use OPERA yet. One of these days maybe. Regards to all lost Kiwis. Bazza

======

5. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Hi bazza,
    Phooey, I answered your post and then lost it. Thanks for that, a moniker should be the result of deep thought and should not be taken lightly- LOL ! I have been here for 17 years a very long and unplanned pitstop! Used to live in OZ, NSW, Kingscliff ,(Coolangatta, QLD, nest town - great for closing time when on Daylight savings!), mid-eighties. Anyway, I have a bigger monitor with a pretty pink display (I have a post about it, but have yet to try all the great suggestions.) I do have 7.5, my mistake, I can't edit the heading. I would recommend giving Opera a try, it seems to be very stable, less errors than IE. Avant runs on top of IE so the old probs I have still exist. You can download Opera from mg's http://www.majorgeeks.com/download559.html this one has no Java or you can get it with Java too.

6. bigbazza

Lost Kiwi, My moniker came easily. Being 1.96m tall and 110kg, 6' 6" and 240 lbs in the Yankee currency. I have a lot on my plate right now, moving back to Cairns, dumping AOL dialup for some company with broadband, trying to help a lady friend in West Africa get her laptop going again, getting a job, etc., so it will be a while before I can try OPERA, but I will. Bazza

=======

7. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Re: Opera 7.5 Free version vs Pay

And I thought my dh was tall! Are you going to go on the shrimp boats lol had lots of friends that did that said they'd never worked so hard in their lives but the money was phenomenal! One day I will replace tweety with a real kiwi, closest I could find and hey I love Tweety. Good luck with your moving. BTW you might want to check out the lounge and the "Is this for real" post. Re a post you did :D

8. bigbazza

LK, Much too old for the prawn trawlers, although nearly 30 years ago I used to be in charge of re-fuelling them in Gove, NT. (Only the Yanks call them shrimp boats, shades of Forest Gump). Checked out the "Is this for real post". Some people see toilet humour in anything. All 3 posts were real, just coincidence they had a toilet connotation. Dump has a different meaning in USA compared with OZ obviously. Bazza

=====

9. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Yes but that is one of the joys of the US! I spent years either shocking or being shocked by certain things I said, but you live and learn every day or what's the point? I am now fully immersed in US humour but still love Monty Python, I guess we can be warped anywhere! BTW, I think I will buy the full version of Opera, it's only about $30, if it works well I will post and let you know.

10. bigbazza

LK, Will be interested in your review of the pro version and let us know the differences. Bazza

======

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Private First Class

Isn't the banner the only difference? that's the only thing I notice.

12. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Namor,
    If that is the only difference is there really much point? Don't they add any other features? I am assuming you have the paid version, yes?

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Private First Class

This only thing I notice is being able to make my upper real estate smaller(since I have no banners) and maybe official support. I think they have official support... I have never used it though, I just go to the Opera forums when I have problems. I think the paid version just removes the banners and that's it. I used the free version for a week and decised to support a piece of software that I liked using and have not noticed a difference (minus banners). If you can live with the banners then use the free version. :)

14. lostkiwi

lostkiwi MajorGeek

Namor
    Okay, thank you. Supporting the makers is always a good idea, especially when it is a worthwhile program, not like some of the stuff that's around that they want an arm and a leg for and it's so buggy it's ridiculous! Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds