Operating System not found error msge.

Discussion in 'Software' started by DoctorWho, Jan 20, 2006.

1. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Private E-2

Dear Geeks,

My Compaq Presario 700 laptop refuses to load its OS (Win XP Home); all I get is the "Operating System not found" error message just after the "Compaq" logo appears.

I pulled the HD and restarted--no difference.

I do not have the Microsoft XP CD, just the 3 recovery CDs that came with the computer.

Hitting the F10 key gets me the BIOS screen, but there's no Tools menu from which to check the HD. I reset BIOS to default while I was in there, but this didn't help.

Could it be something as simple as a dead battery for the CMOS? Any other suggestions?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's probably some sort of file corruption or loss.

Can you use the Recovery CD's and restore the system back to original?

(Sorry, I don't use HP, so I can't outline the procedure, but I imagine it would involve booting from the CD, after setting the Bios)

3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Private E-2

Thanks for the reply!

I did indeed reinstall the OS from the rescue disks that came with the computer, but it took me a few tries--the computer would hang while reading the 2nd or 3rd CD :mad:

It seems "normal" now--much better than with the factory-installed OS, which would hang the machine at random moments.

With hindsight, the old OS was probably unstable; over time I'd had to blast out some pretty nasty viruses, trojans and malware, and these might have cumulatively corrupted it in ways I couldn't detect.

Hope this follow-up helps someone else :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds