Operating system not found, help plz!

Discussion in 'Software' started by suuuze, Jul 8, 2012.

1. suuuze

suuuze Private E-2

Hi, ty in advance 4ur help-
    Ok this is what I get when I turn on my niece's dell inspiron 910 mini

Intel UNDI PXE-2.1 (build 082)

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)
    PXE-E61: Media test failiure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    Operating system not found

I am not sure what else you will need so I submit and await any assistance, ty!

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your computer is trying to boot from the network because it does not see your hard drive. I believe pressing F2 on a dell at boot will let you access the BIOS settings. Does the BIOS see your hard drive? I am pretty sure the standard drive is a 8GB SSD.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Press F12 to enter the BIOS.
    You need to be sure the first boot device is the internal hard drive.
    The PXE notices you see, indicate that the 910 is trying to boot from a network and not the installed hard drive. Because it is not connected to a network (like an office work station) it doesn't find a version of Windows to boot.

4. suuuze

suuuze Private E-2

Yes in BIOS it shows HD, but notes O free space. I have tried booting from HD, network, usb-flash to no avail. I get 3 diff screens in response to my actions. The one i submitted w/orig post, blank except for black screen w/operating system not found, or just blank, black screen w/cursor top left. ALso on 910mini-no f11 or f12:( Not to be rude, but i have tried all this stuff, twice :/ I need more!! ty again

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. suuuze

suuuze Private E-2

Re: We don't know what you have already tried, so it's difficult to suggest something you haven't done already...
    I know I just didn't want to waste your time and also wanted you to know i checked on solutions b4 just giving up :)

I could not get it to run, Fn key does nothing

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You did hold down the Fn key, then press the Power button to turn the computer on? That should work on most Dells.

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If the function key does not work try the following. From the User Guide page 33. Note this is for the model PP39S.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds