operating system opinion

Discussion in 'Software' started by ridgerunner9, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ridgerunner9

ridgerunner9 Private E-2

i have a good windows box but looking to build a linux box. I am not a pc gamer so don't need windows compatability (if there is such a thing) so what version of linux do you recomend and where can i get my hands on a copy?

2. erikske

erikske Sergeant

I recommend openSUSE. It's excellent for Linux newbies, and it's very flexible. On the downside it's a fairly large download (1 DVD - 3.6GB).

Choosing a Linux distribution has a lot to do with personal requirements and taste. You should try the Linux Distribution Chooser.

Whichever distribution you decide to use, always download using the BitTorrent method. It ensures a perfect, error-free download. And you really don't want to download a DVD image three times because of errors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds