Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Feb 13, 2009.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I have been having trouble with some different OS's. First I downloaded Firefox 3 and there were issues with it locking up and when trying to navigate to different pages, etc. I read through the description on MG and decided it was probably still in beta so I downloaded FF2 and ran with it for awhile and ran into the same problem, locking up while browsing or moving through a page. My last resort was Opera which also seems to be a new release but I gave it a shot. It worked for about two days and then locked up on me this morning when I was trying to move through a website (Fubar). I had not had any problems with FF prior to my recent clean install and am curious as to whether this is something system related or just because the browsers are newer and not in full release mode. When I try to close them they lock up and stop responding and I have no choice but to hard boot the computer since Task Manager will not even close them. I have reverted back to using IE for now since it seems to be relatively stable and I am tired of researching new browsers when FF2 should be working fine. Are there any known issues with IE that I should be aware of? If not I am going to stick with it until Mozilla gets their shit together or I determine whether or not this is a system related issue. Any and all ideas appreciated.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have had FF running like molasses in January due to excessive memory use but task manager was always able to cancel it even though it came up very slowly and I never had to reboot, this is in both XP and Vista. FF3 is not beta but since Opera balked too I would look at your OS.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant about using different OS's, these are browsers. Weird that FF didn't work after a clean install. :confused

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Firefox is currently at version 3.0.6 and this is not a beta version.
    IE7 is the latest stable version although IE8 is in beta.
    Opera is at version 9.63 (although I don't use it myself.

I've used both IE7 and FF3 without any problems - when you did your clean install (of Windows?) did you also download all the latest updates for it?

Oh and these are all browsers not OS's. An OS is an Operating System such as Windows or Linux.

4. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Sorry about the confusion, I meant to say browsers. I am on Vista Home Premium SP1. All updates for my OS (Vista) were installed, I checked and rechecked. I was reading somewhere else on the site that people were having trouble due to add-ons. I am going to download FF3 again and see how it runs with no add-ons and then add the ones I want one at a time and see which one is causing the problem. I think it is most likely the theme I was using since they are still building them for FF3 and I probably grabbed a beta by mistake. I would like to know though, is IE as safe as FF now? If there are no known issues I will continue to use IE instead of FF and forego any possible problems. I just now noticed that Fubar did not want to reload but every other site in my favorites loaded immediately so I am guessing that is a problem on there end. (Using IE).

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Easiest way to find out which add-on may be the culprit is to disable the one you think is causing the problem. If that doesn't work out, disable the add-on's one by one. Restart FF after every disabling of an add-on and try it out.

Another method is to select the FF's SAFE mode (that's without add-ons) and see if you still have problems. If so then it may not be browser related. Of course, one can always remove and reinstall FF if all fails.

FF is considered safer than IE because it's open source and has 20% of the market so less vulnerable than IE to attacks. Safe and smart browsing by the user is the crunch!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds