Ophthalmology Published Paper Of Work I Do

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidGP, Mar 11, 2017.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Dont know if this is of interest to anyone, but I know from PMs that some have asked what I do for work, while most of my work is not computer fixing or tech, it is related to tech as we use computing to diagnose eye diseases, so both my interests are covered.

This paper came out of a database I wrote mainly to help track patient cases we had through a review panel meeting we have weekly and to save paper, it was looked over and noticed we could use it to collate data on prevalence of types of Wet AMD (which is my main area of work) so we looked at a offshoot of wet AMD and this paper came out of it and now published in a top journal

http://bjo.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/07/bjophthalmol-2016-310074

hitest, plodr, Eldon and 2 others like this.
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I didn't realize you worked with diseases of the eyes.
    Thank goodness I did not inherit my mom's eyes. She had problems her entire life. She was finally declared legally blind a few months before she died.

She said a lot, "If I could only see better". I said, "Mom you are in your 90's and have your full faculties. Lots of people in their 80's and 90's can see better than you but unfortunately don't have a clue what they are seeing".

DavidGP likes this.
  3. DavidGP

Yup, main area is nAMD (Wet AMD) but work on studies for diabetes, macular oedema, vein occlusions, Central serous chorioretinopathy (CSCR), malarial retinopathy, general eye population studies (sample sets most will have no eye disease) to name some, also run a screening clinic for wet AMD weekly and work with the academics at the university on developing new computerised diagnostic tools in both software and machinery as well as teach trainee ophthalmologists.

Previous work was in digital imaging at Kodak as well as the computing aspect of my interests, which lend themselves to this work, been at this for 12yrs now.

Very true on the varying degrees of what people of age can and cannot see, in clinic I see those in 90s that are spritely as hell but then others in 70s that are not, best patient ever I saw was a brill lady with tourettes, her daughter kept apologising I said its no dont as hear worse from staff in work!!

4. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

wow, very cool indeed! good luck with it all!

DavidGP likes this.
  5. DavidGP

Thanks and its been well received but it also for me has a knock on effect of giving me more work as from this and data I collect we are starting 3 more studies as well as redesigning how we screen patients with suspected nAMD (Wet AMD) and if not nAMD what do you do next, virtual clinics are likely the answer with an ever growing patient list.

6. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I got as far as your Abstract and from the first sentence onward stumbled on your technical terms...felt so sthupid referencing the dictionary to properly understand...overall I got the gist of your paper and think the work you do is absolutely fabulous! Great stuff.

Cheers

LS

DavidGP likes this.
  7. DavidGP

Thanks LS and I would be the same with your legal mumbojumbo! its great we still in respective areas use latin, confuses folk into thinking we are very clever!

8. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

LOL...that's true...forgot about that...in my study years, I used to draw a stick figure cartoon to represent case matter for my notes along with latin terms - easy to remember. Now I just carry a pocket law dictionary;)

DavidGP likes this.
  9. DavidGP

hahaha I have similar in a list I typed up of eye conditions and phrases in a word doc on my phone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds