Opinions...computer shorted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kashmirekat, Dec 28, 2004.

1. kashmirekat

kashmirekat Private E-2

Hi,

I just want objective, informed opinions on this situation.

I brought my computer home for the holidays from my dorm and left it in the trunk of my car. It was cold outside for the longest time and I finally brought it in. I know, I should have brought it in as soon as I got home, but it's heavy. Anyhow, I left it my room to 'warm up' and then I went to plug it in. When I plugged it in, there were two sparks in the power sector and my it will not turn on now. The only question I have concerns my hard drive, is it still good? I hope so, but I have no other way to test it. There are a lot of important files on it. So to everyone, remember to back everything up!

Thank you and have a nice day.

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

It's not a question of letting the hardware come up to room temperature. The electronics aren't particularly temperature-sensitive. The problem is condensation, which will form on or in any cold object that is brought into a warm room. That takes much longer to resolve, in part because only limited evaporation will occur before the hardware reaches room temperature.

Sounds like you got some condensation in the power supply that didn't have time to evaporate before you applied power -- and that condensation shorted your power supply unit.

Unfortunately, shorted PSUs can blow out other components when they go -- it will depend on exactly what shorted and where within the PSU. Check all components in another machine if you can -- after they've had time to dry out if condensation forms.

If there was condensation on the platters inside the hard drives (it can happen), it can cause the read/write heads to stick to the platters. Hopefully, the PSU died before the hard drive damaged itself.

Fujitsu says, "Rapid changes in temperatures can cause condensation, which can cause absorption failure. This leads to head crashes. The change in temperature must not be more than 15 degrees C per hour." If you can't slow down the temperature transition, you can always try sealing the equipment in a plastic bag before you bring it into a warm room.

(How long should you wait to be sure that a hard drive has dried out? Some sources say as long as 24 hours after it has come up to room temperature.)

3. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

How long did you leave it warm up before power on? If it was lets say 32f or below for a long period it could take 24 hours to get to room temp and ok to power on. It also could have had condensation if it was brought in from the cold and powerd on in maybe a hour or two and caused a short.
    I doubt it hurt the drives just let them get to room temp for 24 hours before use. Maybe it was not the cold, and a bump on the ride home, check all connections.
    It could just be a bad power supply

Rick

4. kashmirekat

kashmirekat Private E-2

I think it was condensation. I only left it inside for half a day. I'm going to take it to someone this week and see if the hd is still okay. Here's hoping. :)

Have a nice day!
    Happy New Years!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds