Opinions On External Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melm, Sep 4, 2010.

1. melm

melm Private First Class

I have been doing some research on external hard drives, and would like to hear opinions on the various manufacturers.

Also, advice on what options I should definitely be looking for is very welcome.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What do you want the drive for?

Is it to be easily portable, or do you just need extra storage?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Good question and one I will start off with a question, do you want portability with this external HDD or a fixed external HDD?

as options are for a large HDD but one that carries with it an external power supply or a mid/large size external that uses the power from the USB port.

I like for ultra portability (they use USB power) the WD Passport range HERE (I have 2 of these, superb drives)
    For a main desktop external HDD that could cover multiple PCs via a network or standalone the WD World Books HERE (have 1 of these, great for backups)

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If you want non-portability then I would buy a regular SATA 3.5" Hard drive (1TB should be around £60) and then buy an e-sata case for about £20, possibly saving some money.

All you have to do to install the drive is do up some screws in the hard drive case and slot it all together.

If you want to go full speed you can get an e-sata case for 3.5Gb/s (up to) transfer speeds, which are the same as internal), for which you may need an internal adapter card which are easy to install, or you could go USB or FireWire, both of which are slower than e-sata.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm pretty much in agreement with these suggestions.

One thing to be aware of when considering the purchase of pre-built external drives is the effect of any software that may come ready loaded and sometimes auto-installed on first connection.

Using WD external drives and software as an example, here's one that made the owner think he had a major rootkit, another that caused some confusion when trying to backup and a third that triggered issues with Bitlocker and backups.

6. melm

melm Private First Class

Thank you for the information. I want it for storage and for backup with my laptops. I don't need very much space.

I would like to store everything I can on it.

melissa

Thanks again.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

8. melm

melm Private First Class

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am buying a western digital from newegg. :wave

9. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I have a Buffalo 1 TB stationary external HDD. This comes with backup software on it from Memeo, and is very much excellent. Herr Flick also points out a good model, that being WD drives.

I got my Buffalo for 75 USD just as an FYI.

10. melm

melm Private First Class

Thank you :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds