Opinions on laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hrlow2, Oct 18, 2011.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Gateway MT6730 laptop.
    Dual core 1.6GHz (Merom) CPU
    2GB of PC2-5300 RAM
    100GB hard drive.
    Vista Home Premium.
    Was with my buddy when he bought at a pawnshop about 7 months ago, so I know it won't "burn my fingers".
    Machine was cleaned and disinfected at the time of purchase by myself and I have taken care of it for him since.
    Still in good condition, but wanted to see what others here thought of this machine at the price my friend is selling to me for. $100.00 sounds good to me. You???

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Sounds OK to me. I'd update to Windows 7, from Vista, if you can.;)
    For $100, you can't really go wrong as long as it starts up OK, IMO.

Bazza

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Starts up just fine, but he is like me. We both still prefer XP. ;)
    I have never even checked 7 out in the stores. Slow on the uptake, aren't I? :-D:-D
    Thanks for the opinion. My friend isn't even trying to make a profit. He paid more than that for it.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

No thinking about this , best price , buy it and downgrade to xp pro or win 7 !! :wave

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What I was thinking.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Nothing wrong with XP, but it is easier to go from Vista to Windows 7, than to go back to XP from Vista IMO.

Bazza

===

7. falconattack

I mean that it's a good price !! :wave

8. falconattack

With Dual core 1.6GHz (Merom) CPU is better installing win xp pro than win 7 , i have a intel celeron M 1.3 GHZ , 1 gb of Ram and i try both of win xp pro and win ultimate 32 bit , with win 7 my system runs like a turtle , on the other hand xp is better my friend IMO !! :wave

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Easy to go to XP with the disk. rolleyes ;)
    I have an unused one waiting for a nice home.
    Think I have found one for it. :cool

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you want to change to W7, it will run quite well with 2gb ram, and you can always use radyboost with a usb stick, as I do on some laptops to get that extra punch- good price for a machine that you knowinside out, the screens will still fetch half your money, hard drive etc:- can't lose, if it suits your purpose.
    Now and again I go into XP Pro, on other partitions on my hard drive, but slowly, I am just sticking with Windows 7- I reckon its that good, even on older laptops, that I have updated, that said they were not up to it have been workingwell. What I did, though was install XP, and Windows 7 in two seperate partitions, and when I talk to some of the people, they tell me, I never use XP now- so....
    You can always put a bigger hard drive in, if you need it-dual boot- Windows 7 home premium seems to work well on old Vista laptops.

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If it were me, I'd buy it and probably keep Vista. I have a laptop I bought new in July 2007; it came with Vista and I still have Vista on it. So, I don't think I'd spend money for another OS. But, if I were changing OS, I'd probably go with Win 7 to get the newer OS; as baklogic said, "it will run quite well with 2gb ram".

In addition to keeping Vista, I might install a Linux OS in a dual-boot configuration.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds