Opinions on Processor type/speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chaslang, Mar 21, 2006.

1. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Looking for opinions (pros and cons) of the two processors types and speeds.

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz,800FSB)

Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Does the Dual Core provide any significant advantage even though running slower than the Hyper Threading processor. Will the Dual Core be better at multi tasking since it is a dual processor core.

In performance tests, which would yield better results.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Some comparison performance tests of CPUs including the two you have earmarked above Chas http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

My take on it, yes the Dual Core CPUs do have a distinct edge over their single core parents, and in the tests above at Toms do occupy the top slots in the multitasking tests, personally I dont see any Cons to a dual cpu, plus more software will be written to take advantage of the 2xcores.

My pref would be the 820.

3. chaslang

Thanks Halo! That is what I was leaning towards too. I was wondering whether the 400 Mhz advantage the 640 model had out weighed the true dual core processors.

4. matt1

matt1 Private E-2

For multitasking a dual-core is more powerful. A dual core with 2 x 2MB L2 cache in fact has 2 L2 caches; now that's a processor. 2.8 GHz may not be the fastest speed available, but it is no dog, and in a dual core is quite fast. For a single application a faster single core may perform better. Dual-core has 64 bit support which prepares you for 64 bit programs. The 64 bit version of windows is supposed to be fast.

5. chaslang

Thanks Matt! That's all in agreement with what I was thinking. I really wanted to get a few other viewpoints without initially stating what my opinion was. Seems like thus far that the three of us, and also the tests at the link Halo gave, are all in agreement that the Dual Core at 2.8 GHz is the better choice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds