Optical Drives not being Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ratman2050, May 2, 2009.

1. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Private E-2

I just finished building my new computer and the 2 optical drives are not being recognized for some reason.

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P mobo
    AMD Phenom II X4 810
    2 SATA HDD's that work fine
    2 DVDRW/DVDROM Combo drives

The DVD drives are connected with 1 IDE cable that has master and slave.
    In the BIOS it says IDE CHANNEL 0 = [PHONE] for some reason I have no idea what PHONE means. I reseated the IDE Cables and rebooted now it says IDE CHANNEL 0 = a bunch of letters and [DDR] like twice.

The power works because I can open and close the tray. Any suggestions?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First, power down and unplug the power cable from the back of the PC. Open the case and check the DVD drives; be sure the one at the end of the IDE cable is set to Master, and disconnect the other one (for now). Power up and go straight into the BIOS and use the option for 'Fail-Safe Defaults'. This may change some of the settings you had previously, but it shouldn't negatively affect anything. Save the changes, exit the BIOS and let the PC restart and again go straight into the BIOS. Check to see if the DVD drive is now being recognized correctly. If so, great! If not, go to the IDE settings and make sure they are set correctly (see sections 2-4 and 2-6 on pages 44 and 48 in your motherboard manual, available at this link). Let us know how this goes! If all goes OK, boot in to Windows with just the single DVD drive hooked up. Once that's OK, shut down, unplug the power, and connect the 2nd DVD and be sure the jumper is set to Slave.
    :-D

GOOD LUCK!

3. Ratman2050

Ratman2050 Private E-2

Thanks your method worked flawlessly! It now recognizes both drives.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad to hear all is well! And I'm always happy to help! :-D

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds