Optimizing Internet Dialup Connections

Discussion in 'Software' started by hutchfred, Oct 11, 2006.

1. hutchfred

hutchfred Private First Class

Does anyone have any suggestions on references where I can get info on optimizing my dialup internet connection. I get dropped a lot by my ISP, Bellsouth, and my download rates are between 5-7 kbps. Using a 56 kbps US Robotics modem V92.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Does anyone have any suggestions on references where I can get info on optimizing my dialup internet connection? hutchfred <<

When I had dialup I used the free SpeedGuide.net tool called TCP Optimizer which is a freeware tool available right here at Major Geeks in the Internet Tools section. To learn how to best use this tool simply Google the terms "TCP Optimizer Help" (and then choose the first search result listed).

There are literally tons of references to this subject on the internet. If that TCP Optimizer free tool does not work for you; try googling the exact terms "optimizing dialup internet connection"

Good Luck

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Up until about 3 years ago, I used only dial up. For a while I used BellSouth and I was almost never happy with the service. The speeds were very inconsistent and my connection dropped too often...maybe as much as once an hour. I switched to a cheaper service because was getting poor service anyway. I started used Juno. The speeds were much more consistent and I was dropped much less often. I was pleasantly surprised after switching ISPs. Maybe you should consider that.

4. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

I believe the way that the web works your download speed is about right (also known as marketing over truth...).

With a 56k modem you can expect about 6.6kbps download speed. If I remember correctly this is because the 56k modem is sharing this '56'k between in and out channels.

Constant drop outs however is because either your phone line is poor or your ISP is overloaded and doesn't care enough about customer service to improve their services... I suggest giving the ISP a call and complaining about drop outs, they will almost certainly blame your phone line but should be able to tell you what to ask your phone company to do to improve the line.

Anyone with fresher knowledge of Internet connections want to elaborate?

5. hutchfred

Thanks all. I will try everything you all suggested. Will let you know the results.

6. hutchfred

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds