Optional Microsoft updates, install or not. what's your practice?

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Mar 29, 2015.

?

How do you handle Optional Updates?

1. Install all of them, with or without reviewing first.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Review them, i.e., click link for more info, then decide

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  3. Install all marked "Recommended" and ignore others

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Install all but driver updates

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Other; please explain

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Please see poll questions and let's discuss.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Here's an example. Reliability improvements for Remote Desktop Session Host and RemoteApp: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2959626. If I don't do, and don't anticipate doing, Remote Desktop Sessions with my computer, why install this update?

3. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

I usually install all of them. But I don't do it immediately after their publishing but wait three days before I set up any updates. It appears that one of them is faulty from time to time. Normally those are reported in the mean time... That's the kind of review that I do.

Regards
    GermanOne

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Normally I do not install any Optional updates, though I've never been too sure what is the best policy. However all four main computers here have remained problem free. I keep auto updates on.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I currently have 33 Optional updates pending in my Win 8.1 laptop. And, some additional ones might be hidden; I don't recall at the moment.

Another example of an Optional (Recommended) update that I see as irrelevant for me is Not Connected" status for a paired Surface Pen in Bluetooth settings on Surface Pro 3 (http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2989930). I don't have a Surface Pen and I am not using any Bluetooth devices with this computer. So, clearly, I don't need this.

I've never been too sure, either, about what is the best policy. But, since Microsoft seems to take a blanket approach to issuing Option updates, meaning they basically send all of them to all users, this means optional updates will often be completely irrelevant to particular users.

I have my computers set to allow me to control installation of all updates. Although I normally attend to updates soon after I see a notification from Microsoft, I'm thinking about changing that to allowing Important updates to automatically install. This article is pushing that direction: Why You Need To Install Windows Updates Automatically

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I rarely bother with optional updates. 42 on my netbook and 64 on my desktop computer.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I always install all updates, on the day they are released.

Windows Update always creates a System Restore Point before updating, so if there is really a need to back out (never happened to me before).

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I tend to review all "optionals" and see what they are for, drivers I do not install, unless I'm on my Surface in which I do install them, but on desktop/laptops I don't tend to get manufacturers driver.

Other Windows optionals is a tricky one I'm in two minds:

1. Don't install if its for an application or Service I have disabled/turned off, e.g. Remote Access, Hyper-V, WWAN (mobile GSM etc data as dont have this on my desktop) then why install an update for those services/applications

2. This is the niggly bit, install them all as do we know where a security issue may or may not come from, in light of one of these Services or Applications that malware may trigger on, and thus if not fully upto date exploit an older file?

Random ideas as I know many here are very secure and careful with their PCs but not everyone is, and going down the route we may in being selective may cause a complete novice to follow this and end up with a more susceptible PC to malware.

9. Earthling

Must admit I'm just too lazy even to click the More Info link so the Optionals never get installed here. Here are the current outstanding ones on my laptop's 8.1 - surprised there aren't more

Attached Files:

10. DavidGP

Hi Earthling

Skype and Realtek are two I would not install (unless you use Skype that is) but messing with Audio is a cringing time at best.

Others I would read what they are for, most likely install them.

11. Earthling

On the basis that they won't, or shouldn't cause any harm, you must be right David. Maybe it's time to change my ways ;)

12. FJMcNasty

FJMcNasty Private E-2

Definitely DO NOT install the shown update KB3035583 in your image. Unless you want to be nagged to install Windows 10. Google for "KB3035583 GWX" (No quotation marks necessary).

As for the thread generally, I leave all updates untouched for about a week. Then I do a net search and manually download them for installation and saving to my personal updates folder. If your search can't find a manual download fairly quickly there is probably a problem. Those items will probably show up in your search as howls of rage in various support forums. M$ may hide the manual downloads from the search engines but, to their discredit, they still show up in Windows Update, and they are quite content to make these busted monsters available and installable from there

13. plodr

FJMcNasty, I urge you to install at minimum, the critical updates Now. I just read a POC (proof of concept) and it looks like the one critical update is being exploited.

Article: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2910593/

14. FJMcNasty

FJMcNasty Private E-2

Thank you for the warning. Got that one OK. It was just that particular KB3035583, shown as optional in the posted image, I was ranting about. Many posts on the net say that, while it may start off as "Optional", it has been noticed as reappearing as "Essential" and pre-selected as an automatic update.

Supposedly it's targetted at participants in the W10 trials but, again, many posters deny that they are or have been beta testers of W10.

Again, thanks for the quick warning.

15. plodr

I hid three that deal with upgrading a computer for Win 10. I don't need to be nagged.
    2990214, 2952664 (offered on Pro not Home Premium) and 3035583 (offered on Pro not Home Premium)

16. DavidGP

Hi

If a user has signed upto Windows Insider program, no matter if they end up using a beta of W10 or not then they will be offered that update if they use the same email logon account in their Win7 or 8, that they signed upto the Insider Program.

Can just right click and hide that KB.

17. oma

oma MajorGeek

18. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I rarely update anything inside the first 3 days of Release - but there have been times when I've already used workarounds for some Critical bugs/exploits anyway.

I never install drivers from MS.

Criticals I install (subject to undoing any previous workaround), Important etc. maybe, but only after I've studied them to weed out the dross that simply aren't applicable to my Windows install - things like Remote Desktop are disabled within an hour of Windows being installed.

Having only ~24 Windows Services running means that my attack surface is limited compared to a default install of W7 HP.

None of those prerequisites for being nagged about W10 have been installed but I need to check back to Nov/Dec last's Updates, I have a funny feeling that there might have been an early one offered then.

19. FJMcNasty

FJMcNasty Private E-2

Possibly KB2952664. Another of my hidden updates. See:

<http://www.infoworld.com/article/2911609/operating-systems/kb-2952664-compatibility-update-for-win7-triggers-unexpected-daily-telemetry-run-may-be-snooping.html>

20. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I install all critical updates.
    Optional are never installed unless I find a need for them. So many Optional updates make "Optional" decisions for you which take time to sort out and give no obvious benefit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds