OS Not found on OEM reinstall disk - Dell/Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by cassiopeia, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Hello all,
    First time here, I'm amazed at all of the knowledge and help being shared here. Hoping someone can assist me...

On Monday my computer just "stopped working," was booting to a command prompt, no OS... tried to boot from the Vista Reinstall disk with no luck, and ran the Diagnostics I was able to access through the F12 command (which gives a list of boot devices, and then Diagnostics). It returned an error 2000-0142 (the HDD in the machine was a Scorpio Blue, 500G, 5400rpm) - after some googling I ordered a new HDD that night. I installed the new HDD (Scorpio Black, 500G, 7200rpm) expecting to boot off the Vista reinstall CD that came with the computer and be good to go in a few hours. However, after changing the boot sequence so that the CD/DVR drive was at the top I get the following Error:

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Operating System not found

So two things. I'd love any assistance in getting the OS on the HD so I can get the computer up and running again, and also, I am looking for input on the best way to try to recover anything off the old HD. I have an enclosure and have not tried to explore it that way yet, but have not had any luck with that in the past.

Thanks in advance!
    Cassie

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Have you tried selecting CD/DVD as the boot device from the F12 menu while the Vista disc is in the tray? That should force it to try to read the CD/DVD.

3. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Yes, I have tried that with the same result.

4. sach2

Does the Vista CD/DVD boot in another machine? I'm trying to figure out if the disc is the problem rather than some setting.

Obviously, don't start any recovery in the other computer. Just see if it boots to the recovery options and quit the program or turn off the PC.

5. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Yes, I was just able to get a desktop to boot from the cd.
    Thanks!

6. sach2

So the Cd seems to be OK.

Is this a laptop or desktop-which brand?

Does the CDROM light blink when you try using F12 and choose CDROM?

7. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

It is a Dell Studio 1537 laptop, nothing seems to happen when I try to boot from CD... No lights that I notice.

8. sach2

I'm not sure what to tell you. It sounds like your CDROM isn't working although it has power. Was it working before? When you try to boot from it if you hold your finger to the door does it vibrate at all like it is spinning the disc?

There might be a way to put the recovery disc onto a USB flash drive but I'm not sure what type of files it has on it and what is necessary to make it into a bootable USB. When you booted to the restore disk what did the screen say? Was it Windows installation or some sort of Dell recovery screen?

9. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Well, I believe it was working, yes, but I don't remember the last time
    I used it. But it doesn't seem to be spinning.
    Is it possible to install an OS from a flash drive? Could I just copy the files from the cd onto a flash? Would that have to be the only thing on the flash drive?
    Thanks for sticking with me on this :)

10. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

I wasn't able to boot to the recovery console from the old HD once it failed
    or this one.

11. sach2

It is a bit trickier to get a USB to boot. Do you remember the screen you saw when you booted in the PC? Did it say something about Dell Recovery or was it a Windows logo? What is the exact label on the disc (if from Dell) or did you create it yourself?

With it in the PC, open it in Explorer and give a list of files on the disc (should just be a few files and a few folders).

These things should tell how to write the USB.

12. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Hi there,
    When I booted the other computer it went to a Windows installation splash screen. The cd says:
    Reinstallation DVD, Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT SP1.
    On the CD are the following,

Folders:
    boot
    efi
    langpacks
    sources
    support
    upgrade

Files:
    autorun
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup

13. sach2

I'm uncertain but I think this will work. If it doesn't we can try WintoFlash.

In a working computer, install imgburn (pay attention during install and opt out of any toolbars or extras you don't need/want-they are advertising and not needed.). With your Vista DVD in the CDROM, open imgburn and choose Create Image File from Disc option. Choose a location for the Destination. It will create an ISO file of your Vista disc.

Connect your empty USB flash drive (all files will be overwritten so copy anything you need from it before continuing). Then download this program and run it.

Download this program. In the first dropdown box, scroll way down to "windows Vista Installer" and choose that. In the second step Browse to the ISO file you just created. In the third step carefully choose the letter of your USB flash drive (make sure it matches the letter showing in "My Computer" so you have the correct drive. Then hit the Create button.

When finished try booting the laptop from the USB flash drive.

14. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Hi there! That last link you posted was a link to the same Universal USB Installer? I'm trying to do this on my work computer in the next few minutes before heading home for the night... what was that third program you were suggesting I use? Sorry for the delay, but I do appreciate the help.

15. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

Nevermind, think I got it. Extracting the ISO to the USB now. Fingers crossed

16. sach2

Sorry, I missed you. Yes, I just posted the link twice in my reply, I think I got a little confused. The one Pendrive program is all you need.

Good Luck! :)

17. cassiopeia

cassiopeia Private E-2

AMAZING!
    Once I got a big enough Flash drive it worked like a charm. Not sure what is going on with the CD-ROM but that is for another day!
    One last question. Do you have a thread you can point me to for instructions on some more intense attempts at data recovery off the old HDD? I haven't gotten an enclosure yet, but later today or tomorrow perhaps.
    Thanks SO SO SO much for your help and patience! My 9 year old thinks I am a total rock star now too ;)
    Really appreciate it!

Cassie

18. sach2

Is the HD Sata or IDE interface? Do you have an extra cable so both old and new HD could be connected at the same time? That could be done without an enclosure.

It really depends on how the HD failed. If it doesn't spin up then there is not much hope of data retrieval. If it spins up and the file system is intact it is just a matter of copying the files over to another HD or flash drive. If the filesystem isn't intact then you would need some data retrieval software to try to put the pieces of the files back together before copying.

I'd say get your enclosure or internally connect the HD and see if Windows recognizes it then you can go from there.

My order would be to try:

Windows to see if it can see the drive and files.
    Boot from a Linux USB to see if it can see the files (sometimes it works better than Windows)
    Data retrieval software. (Several of these around; Testdisk/Photorec and MiniTools PowerDataRecovery are good. If you try PDR use this free version. When you first start the program, tick the box for "I am a home user" or it will ask you to pay to copy the files.) Here is PDR's basic guide.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds