OS role reversal

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I have a weird problem. When I reinstalled Windows XP Professional on my inherited Compaq nc6220 laptop, the very operating system the laptop was designed for, it was plagued by bluescreen crashes right and left. The drivers provided by Compaq would not install, and when they did they caused bluescreens and errors, and in general the thing was pretty much unusable... Wheras when I played around with a Linux live CD, everything just worked, so out of curiosity I installed first Sabayon, and then Ubuntu, to get help in figuring out what is going on.

Right off the install everything worked, in both distros. No fuss at all.

Well, everything except the wireless. The adapter was there, both the Linux versions recognized it, and correctly reported it as installed and functioning. It just won't connect. A minor issue, compared to the headaches XP gave me. And yet, XP is what it was designed to run, it's the leading OS on the market, and supposedly the one all drivers are made for. Argh! :banghead

The reason this is a problem is because I need XP on this laptop. The applications I need to run on it are not available for Linux and just won't work. This is a complete reversal of all my past experiences, and to be honest, very frustrating.

I needed to vent. I feel better now. If anyone has suggestions on what I can do to solve the XP problem, I'm happy to listen. I'm kind of stumped right now.

/Mimsy

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I did the full reformat before my first attempt to reinstall XP. I don't remember seeing any errors or problems during the install.

I have that link bookmarked on another computer, that's where I got the drivers. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds