OS X now much more secure than Windows or Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by nec209, Aug 22, 2011.

1. nec209

nec209 Private First Class

One thing about OS X application are bundle architecture maintains application as self contained bundles thus you can move application around where in windows or Linux you cannot . But I feel OS X way of doing this may be easer for user but this makes holes in security.

Also other weak spot of Mac OS X is it will not ask for authentication in user level only in system level and the way programs run and are installed makes alot of weak security in OS X. It may makes this very user friendly but not good for security .

It should be that all programs never download ,install ,remove or change in user level at all.No program should run or install in user level.Every thing should be in system level.

The thing is some times Apple makes their OS so user friendly thay strip some of the security.

Windows and Linux should be installing programs in system level people tell me.Just like OS X.What do you think? What is better? Should program run and install in system level?

Also how much authentication is too much or not enough.If you where running Apple what would you do that will make OS X have more security?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What do you mean by this? Are you refering to vista and windows 7's uac permission prompt that appears? Apple has done this from early versions of osx.

As far as bundle architecture windows has portable apps that do the same thing, security wise that can go either way, because comprising a system version of a file, wont affect an app built with a local contained file/dll/etc. I would think if your bundling items with your app you would also be writing some sort of code to check that said item wasn't changed/harmed, which is a form of security.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I doubt it's more secure, probably because Mac is only %5 of all personal computers and it's not worth their time. I'm wondering since Macs are based on *nix, how long will it be before the miscreants hit *nix installs?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds