Outdated BIOS with no Win7 support

Discussion in 'Software' started by PhreakGeek, Aug 10, 2012.

1. PhreakGeek

PhreakGeek Private E-2

I have an HP Presario F750us AMD Athlon 64 x2 and I attempted to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate. It won't activate with genuine key and the bios reverted back to F.05, 12/7/2007.
    HP website doesn't support this laptop with anything but Vista. Does that mean I can't upgrade?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If it's a genuine purchase but won't activate you will have to return it for a refund. Same happened to me first time I bought Win 7 Ult but Amazon refunded.

Installing a new version of Windows cannot change your BIOS version. Not possible.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

As earthling says an OS install won't effect BIOS.

I did notice that one of the BIOS versions is for Win7 reporting wrong battery information so it seems that HP tested that machine with Win7.

I'd get the latest BIOS and see if that makes a difference on your activation.

4. PhreakGeek

PhreakGeek Private E-2

I was able to activate Win7 and installed updates but I still have a BIOS older than originally (12/7/2007) and hardware/software incompatibilities. Network adapters: Atheros AR5007 80.11b/g WiFi Adapter driver can't be identified and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller cannot start. Other devices, including coprocessor, have no drivers! HP website has no support for my laptop model with anything other than VISTA so i need helping finding the necessary software to make this upgrade work right.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have to say I am having troubles finding drivers for that laptop.

Vista drivers will often work in a pinch. Create a Restore Point. Then I would get the Vista chipset driver from HP, install it and then check Device Manager and see which items still need drivers.

This is the only graphics driver I could find for Win7 and that chipset and it is beta. I hope someone can give better/more advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds