Outllok Express 6 - Can't open web links!

Discussion in 'Software' started by gogie1, Nov 30, 2006.

1. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

I recently upgraded to IE7 and am running XP SP2 & Outlook Express 6.0. All updates have been done.

I can't open ANY web links from any sender. This was not a problem prior to updating to IE7.

Any ideas? I have checked Microsoft help and found no answer. I have also unchecked the correct boxes under the Outlook Express security settings...I can't figure this out :mad:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yup ....happens to alot of people ...(may be norton issue, among others) ...uninstall IE7 ...you will revert back to IE6 and all should work.:)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One fix that generally worked in IE6 for this issue and will work for IE7 as well is,

Open Windows Explorer or any folder on your Hard Drive,

Go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types > Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and click to select it.

[​IMG]

Then click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version ( XP will be Advanced )

Select Open then click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

[​IMG]

also in the same Tools > Folder Options > File Types >
    URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should have the same data.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check here and see if it works.

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults >
    Browser: IE /must/ be chosen here if you're running IE7 and want such links
    to work.

Steve

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

How about just: IE7 -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab -> Make Internet Explorer default web browser. In IE6 it was called "Reset Web Settings", and it usually solved this issue..

6. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

:eek: Too late......I uninstalled IE7 and it works fine in IE6. I am however, just Geeky enough to reinstall IE7 and try the various suggestions posted here...:)

7. gogie1

gogie1 Private E-2

Nice stuff, Halo!! I reinstalled IE7 and plugged in your info - Pow! Works like a champ now...You are a MAJOR Geek, my friend :eek:

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Glad it worked gogie1, but I knew it would ;) :)

9. dottyj

dottyj Private E-2

Hi all, I was having the same problem. I had switched to Outlook Express from IncrediMail, (was told IncrediMail was bad news) Tried Halo's advice and now it is working great for me also. Thanks. I should have come here first and saved myself alot of eye strain.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds