Outlook 2002 only runs in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by jcalamia, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

I recently started utilizing the Outlook 2002 software on my PC and I can only start the program in safe mode. It keeps teeling me there is a porblem and has to shut down, and will only start in safe mode. If I attempt to start normally it just loops around to safe mode again.. Please help!!!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Looking at Outlook 2003 here. On the Help menu is an item called Detect and Repair. Does Outlook 2002 have that? If so, I'd try it. I'm not sure but I think you might need your Office CD during this procedure.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Agreed!

Office XP has the detect and repair feature, and yes, it needs access to the original installation source.

What D&R doesn't fix, reinstalling usually does. It is usually good for the 'Safe Mode Only' condition, though.

Remember to update Office after either procedure, as core files will be versions from disc.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/maincatalog.aspx

4. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

I've tried the detect and repair function with no luck. I've also tried searching for the outcmd.dat file so that I could resave it as outcmd.old as another post on here suggested however when I search for that file even looking in the hidden files and folders it can not be found.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, I guess the outcmd.dat might, indeed, be the cause of your problem. I found this reference: http://www.pchell.com/support/outlookerror.shtml

Do you have Office installed on drive/partition C? Since I have Win XP and Office 2003 installed on F:, I found the file at F:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

6. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

No such luck, only one partition on the computer. No where else to look. This is driving me crazy. I've uninstalled the office package, and reinstalled with with no luck. I'm really at a loss here.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Be sure and install the Office XP updates as Mada_Milty suggested. There are quite a few issues with Outlook 2002 that are fixed, especially with Service Pack 3.

Steve

8. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

Everything is updated and no luck.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try finding/searching for the outcmd.dat file again. Be sure if searching thru Files or Folders that "Look in" is set to (C:\).

OR

Look here again C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-NAME-HERE\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

Steve

10. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

still no good

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Meaning what????

You can't find it by searching?
    We're troubleshooting blindfolded, essentially. We need you to be our eyes and ears. Please be sure to detail what has been done, and what has happened.

12. jcalamia

jcalamia Private E-2

I still coutldn't find the file by searching, it just wasn't there. However the next tiem I opened Outlook, everything was fine and has stayed fine, it has resolved itself???? I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds