Outlook 2003 calendar new appointment crashes program

Discussion in 'Software' started by tservgroup, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tservgroup

tservgroup Private E-2

I have seen this on 3 different computers now. When you create a new appointment in the Outlook 2003 calendar and save/close the appointment, Outlook crashes and offers to send a notice to Microsoft. There are no viruses or spyware programs on these computers. I am sure that it is an Outlook error.

I can copy an appointment and edit it, but not create a brand new appointment.

I have been nosing around fixes where you delete and rebuild corrupt dat files (view.dat, outcmd.dat, frmcache.dat and extend.dat) but no fixes that work so far. Anyone found a way to fix it for good?

Thanks to all...

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Tried to re-create this on both my work and home installs of Outlook 2003, with no sucess, I do not get any crashes like you discribe, not to say its not possible but lets go through some thoughts.....

DO you have the latest SP2 for Office 2003?

Are the PCs on a network using Exchange Server for shared calendars, email etc?

If using XP or similar OS, in the Event Logs is their any more info on which modules or apps within Outlook or the OS that could be causing the crash?

3. tservgroup

tservgroup Private E-2

>>DO you have the latest SP2 for Office 2003?

Yes, latest updates for Win XP Prof, Office 2003 and definitely no viruses or spyware to speak of on this PC.

>>Are the PCs on a network using Exchange Server for shared calendars, email etc?

This one is on a network with Exchange server, the second is a stand alone PC with a router/firewall and the third is a different peer-to-peer (workgroup) network with a router/firewall. All different circumstances. No connecting clues I can find.

>>If using XP or similar OS, in the Event Logs is their any more info on which modules or apps within Outlook or the OS that could be causing the crash?

Here are event descriptions from the last three crashes:

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8000.0, stamp 43599e06, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.6568.0, stamp 42e18ef6, debug? 0, fault address 0x0001f542.

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8000.0, stamp 43599e06, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.6568.0, stamp 42e18ef6, debug? 0, fault address 0x0001f542.

Obviously I get the exact same error each time. Could module mso.dll be corrupt?

4. DavidGP

Could well be corrupt... I would try to next use the in built repair... goto any office application and use Help > Detect & Repair and see if that restores the faulting dll.

you may need the CD.

Also which Antivirus software you use... Norton by any chance? If so disable the Office plugin from the Norton maintainance menu IIRC.... it tends to cause many weird issues with Office.

5. tservgroup

tservgroup Private E-2

Already reinstalled and used the repair utility, no difference. Played with the AV programs, no help.

Do people still use McAfee and Norton and even admit to it? Really? :rolleyes:

6. DavidGP

Yes... those companies Enterprise solutions are great but retail security suites do tend to be a tad bloated, but work fine for some people.

another thought as I was searching as apart from what I have suggested and you have already done is that another application, maybe a security app is blocking Outlook in some way, are their common applications to all the PCs if so what?

one app that I have noticed in some searching and reading is SNAG-IT which adds hooks into Office applications and causes problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds