Outlook 2003 connecting to POP3 account

Discussion in 'Software' started by beermonster88, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beermonster88

beermonster88 Private E-2

Hi,
    I have just reloaded my PC from scratch as the performance was poor and I felt the need to have a tidy-up.

The problem I have now is that I cannot use Outlook to access my POP mail account.

I have researched the web with the error no.s that I receive 0x80040154 and 0x8004210A and have religiously carried-out all of the info that has been posted.

I have, of course checked the account settings. I have compared them to my laptop which still works !!!

I have disabled the firewall, reinstalled Office, installed the latest SP, re-established the B/Band connection, tried Firefox instead of IE7 !!! You name it, I've tried it !!!!!!!

If anyone has any ideas I would be more than grateful as I am losing the will to live along with my hair !!!!

Cheers
    Paul

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

A suggestion: setup your email account in Outlook Express and see if you can get it working. If you can, then import the email account from OE into Outlook. To import into Outlook, select File, Import and Export, Import Internet Mail Account Settings, and then select OE.

3. Viet_Vet

Viet_Vet Private E-2

Paul;
    Can you Telnet to your POP3 & SMTP servers?

On a Win XP PC try
    Start>Run>CMD
    Telnet(space)Your SMTP Server Address(space)25

Example telnet xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx 25 (This is your Outgoing Mail)
    (mail.something.net) etc.
    Try the same for your POP3
    Telnet(Space)xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx(space)110 (This is your incoming server)

If you are not blocked by a PC/Software issue it will connect to the server
    or it will state failed.

If it Fails then there is Something on your PC blocking the connection.
    (Firewall/AV)

If it connects then the Issue is Something it the setup of OL or the program it self.

Can you use OLE to S/R mail??

Send a screen Shot of the error Message

4. Swimace

Swimace Private E-2

YES I have this exact same damn problem, I connect to the Internet via a router, my connection is

My PC > Router (D-link DI-614+) > NTL modem

I have Firefox 2.0

XP Pro

IE7

office 2003 all updated to the latest versions.

It's driving me mad, I just want to use Outlook?!
    and access my yahoo mail via that!

Why is this so hard? :cry :cry :cry

Plz Help!

Oh I also tried the Telnet commands and it connects to both the yahoo pop address and the smtp one?

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Swimace get you on thread as not to confuse issues, but to pop (use outlook to get yahoo mail) you need to be using a paid yahoo account, as there free ones don't allow this.

6. erepairs

erepairs Private E-2

I am having a POP3 problem as well. we were original using the exchange server and now we swictced to POP3 but from the change we are getting emails very slow and we cannot send attacchments.

I would really welcome any help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds