Outlook 2003 now blocks all url in e-mail?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Good morning, running XP Home SP3 and Outlook 2003 SP3
    Recently, within a few weeks, I've been unable to click a link in an e-mail message and open the page in a browser. When I mouse over the link it does NOT indicate it as being blocked. When I click the link I get a pop-up warning that reads "The operation has been canceled due to restriction on your computer. Please contact your systems administrator." I did not knowing let any restrictions.
    Recently I tested SpamFighter but decided to uninstall it and wonder it it left behind some changes to the Outlook registry settings? I've gone through all the Microsoft material on this. I get the same message when I open the email in a new window in the internet zone.
    I think the last monthly MS update included updates to the spam filter but I don't see any junk e-mail options that would fix this problem. This didn't use to happen.
    This one has me stumped.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Check the settings HERE

Also in OL2003 check that this SpamFighter has not left a COM Addin that could be blocking your email links, and instructions on getting to COM addins in OL2003 HERE (ignore the popup FixIt for freezing in IE, or you could run it, never know may fix the issue)

I would also as you have removed SpamFighter, run CCleaner and ist Cleaner then the Registry cleaner and run the Registry one until no items are left to be removed, this will just make sure nothing is let over in the registry that "could" cause this.

3. Anon-7f4ca145be

I checked and did everything in all three of the listed to-do's but still cannot open a link on Outlook. I took the CCleaner a step further and used Glary utilities that cleans deeper than CCleaner, and while there were some SpamFighter references still in the registry and they were cleaned, it did not correct the problem. There is no COM add-in, and the Outlook spam options are set to default per the Microsoft dialogue.

4. Anon-7f4ca145be

OK, links are back. Here is the article that help me.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_fix_links.htm

Apparantly what happened is that I tested the Chrome browser a few days ago after reading the PCWorld article in the latest issue. Something to do with the installation of the browser changing the default browser and then when I deleted it neither Firefox nor IE reset themself as the default. I only had to reset IE as the default, I did not have to pursue any further and try the additional regestry edit steps in this article.

Thanks for your help.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the info and yeah Chrome in being a beta still is causing weird issues with many internet based applications, so thanks for the info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds