Outlook 2003 receives but won't send.

Discussion in 'Software' started by htomatogal, Jun 30, 2010.

1. htomatogal

htomatogal Private E-2

Running in WinXP.

I am having mail forwarded to me from my old ISP. I have send & receive service from my new one. This service did work, but right now (and periodically) I cannot get any message to send. We had trouble earlier with our router, but we seem to have solved that.

I've been to several internet help sites, but no go. One said to "go into the message and move it to a different folder" and I had no idea what that meant.

I checked the MG threads. I tried the two CMDs, but didn't understand the results, except 'could not open connection to the host on port 23', but I thought I was using port 465, which is what's in the account settings.

I tried the help FAQ at the ISP's site. I tried deleting the receive-only account. No dice. I've tried diddling around with the account settings -- just got more errors. I've logged off OL and back on; as soon as the program loads, it starts trying to send the stuff in the Outbox, but this always ends in error(s).

I also tried the Outlook "Detect & Repair." It refused to load.

The main error I am getting now is: 0x8004210B, "The operation times out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server."

I am a novice at this. I'm not sure what else to do. If you tell me to take a certain action, please be explicit and also tell me how to interpret the results, because I probably won't know. :(

It would be such a relief to have this fixed; I have been worrying at it for days.

Thanks,

htomatogal (Into heirloom tomatoes!)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Hi

Sounds like it isn't a problem with your computer, but a problem with the SMTP server. Try changing your SMTP server in the account settings to: mail.optonline.net without any form of authentication enabled.

:)

3. htomatogal

htomatogal Private E-2

Outlook 2003 is the Devil's spawn!

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I did what you said, then restarted. The stupid thing was already indicating that it was trying to send, even tho I had previously disabled the "send immediately" option. I clicked on send/receive again, and it basically ignored me.

4. htomatogal

htomatogal Private E-2

Posting reply to my own reply. Oh well. :-o

Maybe this info is worth lifting up. OL 2003 starts trying to send the minute I open the app. Sometimes it indicates success; other times it gives the usual error (see first post). But it always immediately resumes trying to send again. I think it's stuck or possessed or something.

Please have pity on me or I will be forced to start a new thread on this tomorrow morning!!! ;)

5. Harry Reams

Harry Reams Private E-2

Hi there

Does your mail host requires authentification before sending? You need to go into the Advanced settings

Start Outlook, Click on Tools, E-mail accounts, click on Next, select the mail account you like to setup and press 'Change'

Then click on 'More Settings' and selec the Outgoing Server - and check-mark on 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentification

Press OK and click on Test Account Settings. Does the test email and receive email work?

6. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

The new host I gave her does not require authentication.

Outlook 2003 will send an email on startup, if there is one in the outbox, ready to go. Try hitting ESC(or just waiting for it to finish sending\failing), then press F9.

On a side note, are you hooked up directly into a modem, or are you connected through a router? If it is a router, what brand.

7. htomatogal

htomatogal Private E-2

Harry, your instructions worked, though I would have sworn that I had previously gone through your configuration as one of the ones I tried! :celebrate

That is one of the things that often seems to happen to me (and other folks who just can't force themselves to be methodical) -- I will get all but one setting correct, but when it doesn't work, I throw out more than that one setting, meaning that there are some combinations of settings that I never test.

Harry & zDawg32, it doesn't seem to make any different what I set as my outgoing port. Is this sometimes set automatically by the server or something?

You guys can maybe imagine what a rush it was to finally see the two replies that had been sitting in my outbox for 1/2 of forever, finally disappear!

Both of you -- thank you so much!

Laurel

8. bobcatlou

bobcatlou Private E-2

I found a fix after reading several threads and want to share it for what it is worth:

Click More Settings

On outgoing server tab check box (authentication) and then dot the first circle--use same settings, etc.

Go to advanced tab and use port 587 for the SMTP

Hope this works for you.

Bobcatlou;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds