Outlook 2003 won't receive mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by timebuilder, May 29, 2010.

1. timebuilder

timebuilder Private E-2

Hello, again.

Today's problem is a lack of incoming mail using my email client, Outlook 2003. The OS is Xp Home, SP3, on a Dell Dimension DM051.

1) The mail is on my server at my ISP, and I can still get it on my blackberry.

2) I have run scanpst.exe a couple of times, and all .pst file errors have been repaired.

3) The settings are the same as when it was working, so no changes there.

History:

This happened once before. The problem first appears as a multiple copy downloading of email on a given day, suggesting that the problem originates with Outlook not recognizing headers on the server, so it continues to download new copies.

Last time, I did the following:

1) fixed the .pst file errors by running scanpst.exe

2) ran "detect and repair"

3) finally removed the office pro program, rebooted, and reinstalled.

4) The next day, I checked again, and the program started working normally.

That was perhaps a month ago.

So far this time, I have replicated all of the steps I took before, but of course, I have no idea what undocumented occurrence caused the problem to go away last time, or I would do that again THIS time. This means that I have not gotten to step 4, where the problem goes away.

I'm a little bewildered that a reinstall, a step I had previously regarded as the "gold standard" in software issues, was not in itself an effective fix for this for either occurrence.

What advice can you offer at this point?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you verify if this happens with other email clients on your computer by downloading and installing Mozilla Thunderbird: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-GB/thunderbird/

This is to see if the problem is with Outlook or somewhere else in the chain.

3. timebuilder

timebuilder Private E-2

I found the issue.

First, I downloaded Thunderbird, as recommended. It downloaded several emails, and then stopped.

I was concerned that something could be wrong with the mail server. Then, I thought one of the largest mail servers in the nation would not be having this kind of problem for long, so I looked for commonalities between the two failures. While I was thinking on that idea, a prescient thing happened.

A little window popped up saying that a file named PCTAV.svc or something similar had developed an error and needed to close, and it asked if I would like to inform Microsoft about it?

Well, no, I did not, but I realized that this was not the first such notification I had seen in recent weeks. Come to think of it, I only had installed PC Tools Antivirus after the Malware forum recommended I ditch AVG because it used up too many resources.

So, I eliminated PC Tools Antivirus, and reinstalled Outlook.

Bingo. Everything started working just like clockwork.

So, what can I install in place of the PC Tools product that will not interfere with .pst files or the downloading of email using Outlook?

And thanks for the suggestion about Thunderbird. I may consider that in the future.

4. timebuilder

timebuilder Private E-2

I found the Antivir product. Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds