Outlook 2007 won't send email

Discussion in 'Software' started by InfinitePulse, Mar 25, 2008.

1. InfinitePulse

InfinitePulse Private E-2

I'm having a problem with my outlook 07. I use yahoo mail, and I am able to receive my email, but can't send anything. It just sits there in my outbox... I copied the settings directly from what I have found...

* Yahoo Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 110)
    * Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 25)

But for some reason it just won't send them out... I have att yahoo dsl... what is it that's stopping my outlook from sending my email??

2. stewieandco

stewieandco Private E-2

Hi
    I had the same problem with my email program. Tracked the problem to the settings on my antivirus. I was using Norton at the time. As soon as I removed Norton and replaced with Avast and Mailwasher the problem disappeared. Not sure if this helps but sounds like an issue between programs.

3. InfinitePulse

I do have norton, but I don't understand why it would block outgoing, but permit incoming... if it's supposed to protect me from threats, wouldn't it be the other way around?

4. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Norton also blocks you from emailing out viruses to other people. It does this to block the spread of viruses before you are able to deal with it. Also some viruses only activate to email themselves around so scanning outgoing mail is the only way to detect them.

Also it seems that you need to have Yahoo Plus! (what ever that is) to be able to use yahoo as an SMTP server (to send mail).

5. InfinitePulse

I downloaded a program called ypops, which I read was supposed to help. I also tried using the ATT yahoo settings, but it kept asking for a network password, and I don't know what that meant... this whole thing is really just getting aggrevating and I just wanted to use my email with a decent interface instead of clicking each individual email to clean out my box on their site...

6. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

A quick check of the yahoo website yields the needed information.

http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

You have to have Yahoo Mail Plus! to be able to do pop3 access to your yahoo account. If it isn't a major hassle, I would suggest going to GMail if you really want to be able to use Outlook to manage your mail through a free mail server.

7. InfinitePulse

Well, I just signed up with gmail, before I checked this thread (lol) but I think that one of my other problems may be inhibiting my ability to use outlook right now anyway... I'm trying to setup my outlook with my gmail account, but it's not finding the server. I am in safe mode right now, and it said some things wouldn't work in SM, so I have no idea if that's the issue or not, but for now it seems to be a possibility. All it says is problem connecting to server.

8. Onesize

Onesize Private E-2

I had a similar recent problem with Thunderbird and Yahoo. Everything has been fine until recently when I could no longer send email. Trawling some of the forums showed up some info regarding Yahoo changing their smtp servers. Make sure you have selected secure connection ssl. The ports should automatically reset but on the uk servers for pop3 its 995 and for smtp its 465. Do not select secure authentication. I've also found that if I don't check for updates on my virus checker (AVG) before trying to send then sometimes, but not everytime, nothing happens.

Si
    Leigh on Sea
    England

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds