outlook.com email password help

Discussion in 'Software' started by pongo, Aug 23, 2014.

1. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

A friend asked me if i can get into his email as a fellow employee, changed the outlook password and flew the coupe?so now they cant get in and there trying to run a small bussiness.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may be able to clear it and reset it. Have a look at this page.

3. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

thanks but no go i cant log in so i cant change the settings,is there a program that if ran will find the password.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Maybe this tool will help. There's also information on the page about where the password is stored.

Keep in mind that this thread may be closed OR deleted because MG's normally doesn't offer suggestions on passwords or product keys due to the difficulty in proving ownership of the computer being worked on. I've gone out on a limb here and may be reprimanded.

5. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

i understand but it amazes me that outlook has no support,after this im telling him to switch to gmail.im not sure how to run it from cmd?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I take it from your thread title this is online email from outlook.com and used online and not with a client (Outlook as part of office)?

Client based is slightly different and at times you can recover the email password if saved on the PC, that app linked too (also don't need to the CMD version as downloadable/installer is on the page, BUT note than when installing it does have two bundled freebee addons that you need to decline) can help but only with a client based installed software and not really with online email from Microsoft as they use Exchange ActiveSync now.

Have you tried here
    You would have the same issue with gmail to a point, some accounts now with outlook or gmail have a few layers of security and if a user set these then its difficult.

I guess as a small company they don't have any servers to run email off? it maybe worth cost prevailing looking into a dedicated email service, as disgruntled employees can cause havoc like this.

7. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

That link is nothing to do with a CMD option, the app linked too in the post by mdonah, has a CMD and installer version just scroll down to download and get the .exe version, but I did test this out myself and it wont really work for HTTPS email accounts, unless they are used in desktop clients like Office Outlook, Thunderbird etc

If you have run the reset then the only thing left is this route I can think of off hand https://account.live.com/acsr may need to prove contents of the types of emails, possibly email addresses of business contacts etc

gmail and many online email accounts are like this these days, the need for security of proving who you are to gain access now has any recovery options like email address, captcha, secret question and secondary email or mobile number.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds