Outlook Express 6 missing file

Discussion in 'Software' started by firestorm1, Sep 30, 2010.

1. firestorm1

firestorm1 Private E-2

When I try to save a picture from my email, I right click on the picture and choose "Save picture as" as usual. Then I get a message that says "Cannot find the C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.hlp file." I checked and it is missing. It says it needs to be installed. How do I do this?
    Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A workaround because as I'm reading IE7 and OE6 don't play nice together and that help file does not exist so I can't point you to a site to get it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190250

3. firestorm1

firestorm1 Private E-2

Thank you very much. I tried your runaround method and it worked :)

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As this is a system file that has gone missing you might be able to restore it by running sfc /scannow from a command prompt. However the command might call for you to insert your sytem disk (XP?), so if you don't have one don't bother, as a recovery disk won't do.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The point, Earthling, is, there is no such file! Read the MS KB article. This error was introduced with IE 7 and continues with IE8.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds