Outlook Express 6 + Windows Update(need help)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joebean, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

Problem 1- Outllook Express 6 - taking a long time to load up, once its loaded it works perfectly fine. It just started to do this a couple weeks ago, before it loaded in less then 2 seconds. Does anyone know what the problem is or how I can fix it? Perhaps something to do with the registry? (I have looked/searched microsoft database with no good results)

Problem 2- Windows Update - I do the scan then review and install and the window pops up saying that its dloading, but nothing comes in or installs. I was patient with it and waited a whole hr. Still no progress, so I had to go to microsoft and dload the updates manually one at a time.(I have looked/searched microsoft database with no good results)

I am runnning Windows XP PRO on a custom made PC(2700 AMD)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JOE

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Winxp SP1?

Do you have the latest OE and updates for it?

Do you have the latest Windows Update software installed?

Check all these. A good start.

3. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Just a quick note,,,I had the same problem with windows update,,,it turned out that my modem&routers firewall was the culpret..are you using a cable /adsl modem or router ??? these usualy have settings you can alter to bypass thier firewalls??? besides the XP firewall

4. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

Yes it Windows XP SP1, I do have all the windows updates, although I had to get them 1 by 1 thru microsoft dload section. Also I am running Outlook Express 6, and I beleive its the most current version.

5. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

Well I do have Cable modem with Linksys router and also Norton Personal Firewall. It was running fine with all these things about 2 weeks ago. I also tryed turning off norton then doing the update, still no go so its not norton. I cant see it being the router as I havnt made any changes to it and it worked before, but could be, I will try bypassing it.

6. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I doubt it is the router, do you have your firewall turned on? This is the windows one I am talking about.

You sure you already checked for Spyware? What programs did you use?

7. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

I have used 'the cleaner' and 'adaware' as well as 'spybot' and did an up to date Norton scan. Yes I did find some spyware, but it didnt fix anything.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

does that norton personal firewall have script blocking or activex control blocking? Please disable this firewall and try updating again.

9. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

I have diasbled norton completly and then tryed. Windows update still doesnt work and it didnt fix my prob with outlook express either....Also I tryed using outllook office and its the same way, 2mins plus to load then it works fine. so both outlooks are messed up for the loading time.

10. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

Still trying to figure out these problems if anyone out there has any advice or solutions.

11. Joebean

Joebean Private E-2

I have out what the problem with Outlook Express 6.0. It has some kinda of conflict with windows messenger/msn messenger. Here is how I fixed it.

Here is the reason and the fix.........

Sometimes removing or disabling Windows (or MSN) Messenger causes OE to open slowly. This will be shown by an entry in the system error log:

The server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

To fix this, open Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    \CLSID
    \{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
    \InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    \CLSID
    \{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
    \LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally

I hope this fix makes a few people happy.

Now if I can only find out about windows update..its still not dloading the updates.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds