Outlook Express careful migration

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denno, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Denno

Denno Private E-2

Hiya
    I have installed a new HD and Win XP home. Have downloaded to Outlook Express all the e-mails that accumulated in my online mail while my old Windows was out of whack.

I have reinstalled my old HD and am transferring files to the new one.
    Now....anyone have a way I can retrieve the old e-mails from my old OE without overwriting the new ones?

Thanks

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Use OE's File > Import. It will merge the OE folders on the old disk with the new OE folders without overwriting what is aleady there.

3. Denno

Denno Private E-2

OK --- found the place on the old HD. I have a lot of mail there (and on new HD) sorted into folders by subject or person. This gonna work ok where the folder names are the same? Should I rename the duplicates?

4. Earthling

It will merge - not overwrite, but you can take a copy of the new folders first so you have peace of mind ;)

5. Denno

Denno Private E-2

"Yeah but"
    How do I direct it to import from OE on the other HD?

6. Earthling

You said in #3 that you "had found the place on the old HD", by which I guess you mean you have found the folder containing OE's dbx files, so -

File > Import > Messages > Microsoft Outlook Express 6 > Next > select Import Mail from an OE6 Store Directory > OK > browse to the folder you found and OK.

If you have a problem locating the folder just right click the old drive in My Computer and Search for .dbx

Do take a backup copy of your new folder first. Better safe than sorry ;)

7. Earthling

So is this sorted now? Would be nice to know.

8. Denno

Denno Private E-2

Yeah. Past couple nights was too tired to want to mess with it, but just did and it added the two together. OK. Thanks.

Now....less obvious to me how to retrieve my old address book. According to Start/search there is only one .wab file on the computer, and that is in the old HD (E) Also might not have anything in it. So might not be the right thing to retrieve? And again I'd like to copy the current one before I try importing the old.

Can you clue me?

9. Earthling

Good, but pressed for time atm but hopefully THIS will help you recover your address book and anything else OE related.

10. Denno

Denno Private E-2

HOW COOL IS THIS???

It merged the two address books. Ever so nice.

And thank you ever so much!

11. Earthling

Thanks for feedback! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds