Outlook Express/Comcast/Norton Not Playing NicelyTogether

Discussion in 'Software' started by Malacoda, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Malacoda

Malacoda Private E-2

For some reason, I cannot send or receive e-mail through Outlook Express unsing my Comcast account. I CAN get e-mail though Comcast's web interface, but it is a pain.

I have tried turning off all of my Norton Internet security/antivirus stuff, but OE is still not working. This is the error message I receive when I click "Send/Receive Mail:"

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any help would be appreciated!

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

In the error message it says: 'Account: mail.comcast.net'. Should that not be your user ID (account name, whatever)?

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Never mind, that's not it.

4. Malacoda

Malacoda Private E-2

I don't think so...I should add that it worked fine this morning around 6AM, and when I went back to check at nine -- having touched nothing, not even turned the comp. off -- it was down. It's always been "Mail.comcast.net."

5. Malacoda

Malacoda Private E-2

My husband's wireless router, but I've checked it, and all is in order...

I can access web pages, etc. I just can't get mail in OE, which leads me to believe it's an OE problem.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Your mail server may require authentication in OE:

1. Click on Tools and choose Accounts... from the drop-down.
    2. Choose your mail account and click the Properties button.
    3. Click the Servers tab

At the bottom of the window, there is a checkbox that says "My server requires authentication." Check the box and your mail should work correctly.

If it doesn't, you will probably need to click the Settings button next to that checkbox on the Servers tab and choose the "Log on using" option. Enter the the main account name and password that is used to connect to your ISP.

This should fix your problem.

Steve

7. Malacoda

Malacoda Private E-2

I tried that...STILL doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

(FWIW, I tried using Mozilla mail, as well....that doesn't work.) I can ping comcast, and comcast says the prob isn't with them. Their tech support walked me through a bunch of troubleshooting stuff...

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I think it's Norton, then. Make sure in the Norton control panel the functions that Scan Incoming Email and Scan Outgoing Email are deactivated. Failing that, try uninstalling Norton altogether, and see if it solves it.If not, you'll know it's Comcast, regardless of what they tell you. This error is reasonably common, and the implication is that something is blocking port 110.

One other question-- does Comcast use IMAP for incoming email?

9. Norby

Norby Private First Class

Maybe this might help,I have comcast and nortons,awhile back for some reason this happen to me . My pop and smpt had gotten changed and I was having the same trouble you were having. ( It's worth a shot ) Check to see if yours looks like mine.

First:
    Open up your Outlook Express then click on tools,then Accounts, click on the mail tab, your account should be there now. Click on properties and then click on the severs tab,yours should look like the attachment I have enclosed in this note,if not change it. In the account name put yours in,just the beginging of your email address ,,, not the @comcast.net.

Attached Files:

10. Norby

Norby Private First Class

The attachment was not to clear.

POP -------> mail.comcast.net
    SMTP -------> smtp.comcast.net

11. Malacoda

Malacoda Private E-2

All the mail settings were correct; and even with Norton OFF, the problem kept happening.

I ended up UNINSTALLING Outlook Express, then reinstalling it and re-creating the comcast mail account. That ended up solving the problem.

How annoying and frustrating. It seems that every time something goes wrong with an MS software package, the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks for all your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds