Outlook express compacting files wiped everything

Discussion in 'Software' started by niceandspicy999, Jun 26, 2005.

1. niceandspicy999

niceandspicy999 Private E-2

I was compacting my OE messages when halfway through, my pc just rebooted itself and then on start up I received a critical error message. I reported it to MS but got the message that it was an unknown issue

When I opened up OE, however, everything was gone - all of my subfolders and emails. I did do a back up about 2 weeks ago, saved on my C drive but that's wiped too! It doesn't exist anywhere that I can find it on my pc.

I have tried system restore but that didn't help.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions to help me get this back, or is it lost forever??
    Thanks!
    oh, I run XP SP2

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

3. niceandspicy999

Thanks Bazza. I have been looking online, but so far have only found people asking the same question with no answers :( I will keep looking.
    I also did a double check with AVG and adaware etc but found nothing nasty in my computer.

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/ try that
    or try importing mail from the .dbx files.
    look in documents and setting\username\local settings\application data\identities\{xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx}

5. Anon-068c403e2d

I have rceomended it to many people and they had good results with it so far,I have never used it.I always use the .dbx files method,if the .dbx is not there maybe you can use a free undelete program and that might do the same thing as this.It may or may not be worth buying it,depends on how important your mails are and you should try all other free resources first.

6. Anon-068c403e2d

7. niceandspicy999

Thank you!

I have found my dbx files - do I now just import them in from my OE? I have tried that but it keeps telling me that the import files are currently being used by OE so it won't let me do that. Am I missing something?

If I can't do it this way, I'll look at some of the other programs suggested.

8. niceandspicy999

I think I may have to give up on this. I downloaded 2 of the extraction files recommended here, and although they extracted folders, the vast majority were empty. I think I'll just work on trying to figure what information I have missing, and work on how to get it all back.

Thanks, Danielle

9. Anon-068c403e2d

Have you tried from OE file>import messages>...etc?

10. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

Not sure what state your .dbx files are in, but I tried this after getting a new computer. With OE closed, I renamed the .dbx file that OE was using with no messages in to something like inbox.dbx.old, then copied the inbox.dbx into the folder for each .dbx I had on the old computer. (inbox.dbx just as an example). I opened OE, and voila, messages appeared.

Hoping this helps

noahawk

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds