Outlook Express Error when sending

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrreatRon, Oct 29, 2009.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Using Outlook Express I am suddenly faced with an error when I try to Send. The message I get is:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Ron's Stuff', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 23225, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep, your computer appears to be trying to send your email to itself. But, first question I have is: What antivirus program do you use? Some antivirus programs change the SMTP and sometimes POP accounts to 127.0.0.1, to process them.

BTW, what mail service provider are you using?

3. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I use
    AdAware Free, AVG Pro, Zone Alarm. I use ISP.com. I just went through the process of turning these off one by one and trying to send again and didn't have any success. Any other ideas?

4. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I just changed the port number to 465 and smtp setting and things are working OK now.

Thanks for the mental jolt!

5. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

I found this information in the help and support I am running XP and simply searched error code 0x800CCC0E

Exchange Server client receives an error message when it tries to send or receive e-mail: "Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e"

When you try to send or receive messages by using an Exchange server client, you may receive an error message. When you try to send a message to your Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server, you may receive the following error message: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
    Server:'your_SMTP_server', Protocol:SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): NO,
    Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e

6. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

It also helps to know, if you are on a hi-speed connection or on a dial-up-connection, if your ISP had changed ports without notifying you too. That just happened to me recently. I could receive, but not send.. Got a "server error blah-blah-blah" and nothing I could do helped, and I was checking to make sure everything was right, like user name, ports, etc., with my sheet from the ISP, and nothing worked, until the next morning, when I called my ISP.. They were swarmed with calls! NOBODY could send:-D But, they just told me and others to change the SMTP port numbers, and all is fine now..

Apparently, during a power outage, someone went back there to reset the servers, and changed a port, from what they had told me.. Now, mine and everyone else's are working fine...... Oh, yeah, he did also say, "if I ever find out who did that!!!!!!" :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds