Outlook Express Error/ Windows Me Update?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ForeverYoung, Mar 3, 2007.

1. ForeverYoung

ForeverYoung Private E-2

Help! I can't open my outlook express. I get an error message:
    C:\Program Files\outlook express refers to a location that is unavailable...ext...ect.

Also, I am getting this when I click on windows update:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
    To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

I have windows me computer

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Have u added/removed any software, changed any settings, is Outlook at the file location specified? Have you checked for malware, I'm assuming that everything was working prior to today, u could get mail, update WMe etc.

U can have WinMe on a Mac, but u would know if you had a Mac :)

3. ForeverYoung

ForeverYoung Private E-2

No, I've had this computer since it was brand new in 2000? 2001? The only thing I had updated was my adaware SE & ran that...nothing. I did notice when I clicked the properties on outlook express for the target section it says C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\fixmapi.exe.....should'nt it read "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"?

4. Cat_w_9_lives

Yes, mine is MSIMN.EXE...sorry i have not use Outlook Exp. for a long time.. was not sure it was still on my pc, use Outlook at work. Virus maybe, not sure what would cause the problem, have u done a virus scan?

will try n look up for u

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Oh i see it's in the wrong place, ur Outlook file is in ur system folder not in ur program files?

R you sure that is where Outlook is located, should be C: program files

6. Cat_w_9_lives

fixmapi.exe.....is a tool re fixing problems, but can also cause them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228457

This is above my user level, someone with more experience will have to help, sry.

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No you can't run anything below xp on a mac, and thats only the intel macs unless you use virtilization software. Basiculy you are having issues with windows updates because win me is not supported any longer.

8. Cat_w_9_lives

Thanks Coleman, the other problem with Outlook Exp. is the tool that was run I think. MS says to reinstall Outlook.

Link in post #6 explains the tool and possible problems w/Outlook after running the tool.

9. ForeverYoung

ForeverYoung Private E-2

Well thanks for trying to help. I searched the internet about Outlook Express & had run across someone with the same problem. In their post they had explained that they could not go to the update page either because the update thought it was a mac. That's why I tried the update page:D . No one had answered that persons post though.

I did run across this sight: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial71.html

so maybe I will try to uninstall & re- install & see if that works.

There is an update page for windows me, incase you have to reformat your hard drive. However, they have not created any updates for that windows since they stopped.

About a month ago my PCI Adapter messed up, so before I replaced it, I thought it would be a good time to reformat my hard drive. Of course I was able to install the updates then.

I'm pretty good with computers but this problem has me puzzled. I even tried the system restore & that did'nt work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds