outlook express forwarding problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by noobtech, Apr 29, 2009.

1. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

I hope someone can help me out. First time ever using a forum so please bear with me.
    A clients machine is set to forward all mail from his outlook express to his aol account and keep a copy in his outlook express inbox. For some reason some senders are not showing in outlook but are appearing in the aol inbox. There are no rules set that I can see in his outlook, I sent multiple emails from multiple addresses and they were fine. So I am not sure what exactly is going on. his pop and smtp are set correctly, the fact that the problem only occurs for random emails is throwing me off. Any help woul be greatly appreciated.

He is running XP on his desktop, any further info you need please let me know. Thanks
    :confused

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Is Outlook express connecting to a different email account other than aol.com?

3. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

he is using verizon as the pop server and optonline as the smtp. those are the only other "connections" I am aware of. as far as forwarding to other accounts, no it is not sending to any others.

Thanks

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry....still not understanding. You have told me that he has an aol.com email account. What account is he trying to forward to his aol.com account? Is it verizon.net OR optonline.net? In Outlook express what is the name of the SMTP server?

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry....still not understanding. You have told me that he has an aol.com email account. What account is he trying to forward to his aol.com account? Is it verizon.net OR optonline.net? In Outlook express what is the name of the SMTP server?

What are the email account settings in Outlook Express. Specifically, what is the inbound server name (pop3) and what is the outbound server name (SMTP)?

6. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

ok, the outlook address he is trying to forward to his aol is xxx@xxxlaw.com
    his pop3 server is verizonemail.com (to that effect)
    and the smtp server is mail.optimum.net

I thought it strange that there are many different account types involved, but according to the client everything worked fine up until the other day. I am stumped, and have only been doing this for a month or so so lack the experience. Thank you for helping

also as I said the problem only occurs to seemingly random emails. I sent him mail from my optonline account, yahoo account and work account and encountered no problem. But I see mail coming in and only showing up in the aol even though the message is addressed to the xxx@xxxlaw.com acct.

7. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

the pop 3 is port 25
    the SMTP is 110

please help.

Thanks

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK....May I ask why you are doing this through outlook? Most email services have email forwarding, so you should be able to set up xxx@xxlaw.com to forward everything to aol.com without outlook involved. Who is the provider for the xxx@xxlaw.com email?

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Go to Outtlok Express TOOLS > Message Rules > email and what does the rule say?

10. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

I went through the rules and did not see anything set. Maybe it was done on the domain end? Sorry if I am not answering very in depth, very new to this ..hence the name lol.. only my second month in the field.

Thanks again.

11. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

apparently another client is having the same issue now.
    :confused

12. noobtech

noobtech Private E-2

I believe he is using verizon for his mail, so I decided he should speak to verizon to see if they are having any issues. This problem is very confusing to me. As I said, verizon is the pop server and outlook is downloading form there and he is using optimum as the outgoing server. That alone confuses me as to why he would have it set up that way. And then forward it to AOL??? seems to be alot of unnecessary things happening.

I appreciate all the help, the client will call verizon.

Thanks again.

13. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How is that done in Outlook Express? Is a Message Rule set up for every sender/client?

14. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Here you go.

Attached Files:

15. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This makes no sense. Why use mail.optimum.net for the outgoing server if Verizon is the ISP?

Now, we're talking sense. The details for Outlook Express setup are surely also on Verizon's website. I haven't looked for it but I can't imagine that they don't have it somewhere on their website.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds