Outlook Express No Longer Receives Emails

Discussion in 'Software' started by petejc, Nov 2, 2012.

1. petejc

petejc Private E-2

Time Warner just installed a new cable modem and now Outlook Express can't receive from ANY pop account.

For years I have had OE check about 18 email accounts every 10 minutes. Most are at roadrunner (Time Warner) but about half are at gmail or yahoo or others. That was working fine until today when the swapped my modem for one that supports telephones.

Now every one of the accounts gets the same error when receiving. Sending works fine. Here is the error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The error is identical except for the Server: 'xxxx' which changes for each account.

Now get this. For Time Warner email accounts they say to use the pop server:

pop-server.roadrunner.com

That always fails to receive BUT:

pop-server.nycap.rr.com

will work.

The roadrunner.com account was working to receive an email at 10:08 AM. The T-W tech arrived just before 10:00 AM.

Everything else works. Browsing and web based email. I can send an email to an account and attempt to read using

pop-server.roadrunner.com.

I get that error message. If I check the web based account the email is sitting there in the inbox.

If I change OE to

pop-server.nycap.rr.com

and do a send receive in OE, the email disappears from the web inbox and shows up in the OE inbox.

I have had online chats with three T-W techs and a voice call with another. At the end, they are "escalating it"

Help Please,

Pete

2. petejc

petejc Private E-2

Here is an update. T-W fixed their system.

At least three of the four techs said, at one point or another that it was a Microsoft problem and I had to contact Microsoft. Yeah, right, Bill Gates is just waiting for my call.

So I took matters into my own hands. Last night I fired up an old Netbook and set up Outlook Express with all 18 accounts. In my kitchen, all got the same error as the computer I had been using.

This morning I took the netbook to a coffee shop (Yah! Tim Horton's). OE worked fine and I got all my emails.

I went home and tried again with the netbook, no joy. I called T-W and after about 20 minutes of the tech having me do yesterday's stuff over again, she said I had to call Microsoft.

I said, "That's not going to happen. I have talked to Verizon FIOS and I know when they can switch me over and how much it will cost me". I then reiterated the netbook saga and how it fails only when going through the T-W cable modem. She put me on hold and after some time the connection was dropped.

Some time within the next hour I tried OE and it worked flawlessly.:-D
    It is still working 5 hours later.

Who'da thunkit?

Pete

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds