Outlook Express not receiving CERTAIN emails?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Mar 19, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Very strange problem with OE6 failing to receive [show up in Inbox] only CERTAIN few emails from certain addresses within the same domain.

Does anyone know the steps that OE undertakes to pickup mail from the server, move it to the client, and flag the server to remove/delete [assuming such flag is unset in the OE controls] ??? If I look at the server's email [webmail] the messages are there in the inbox. But OE6 on the local client will pickup every mail EXCEPT these certain few addresses. I've removed every security precaution and have no senders on the block-list at the client side. Checked junk filters, Deleted folder, etc. Even putting machine in Safe Mode and establishing a new user account with new/fresh OE6 mail account the problem persists.

Related but different question: The way Microsoft bundles OE6, isn't it in the software ball with IE? and is it still in IE8?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Very interesting......I think we need to narrow things down a bit more.

Can you try it with another email client like Thunderbird?
    Can you try it with another email account from this same machine?

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thx for your help.
    I did try yesterday, two things to attempt a clean fetch:
    created a new XP user account with administrator privileges
    created within that new user a fresh OE6 account, using one of the troubled email id's.
    This resulted in the same problem.
    Then I tried the same, only in Safe Mode + Networking. Same again.

What I did not try is asking the ISP for two new user accounts [fresh/unmolested]. I intend to do that about an hour from now. I shall try a fresh one and see if it can receive.
    If it works 'normal', what does that imply??? [infection that slipped detection thus far??]

Not tried T-bird but I did have the thought: I was planning to try WLM-client today and see if it comes up clean.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You could probably create an email account on GMAIL and give it a try.

If it works from another account with the same ISP and a GMAIL account, then it would seem to point to the ISP. Don't know what it would point to...yet though.

Can you log on to the ISP WEB page and view the emails that wont come down? Anything in the headers of those emails?

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I may be wrong but I can't believe OE is causing your problem. I've used OE for years and I just don't believe OE is the culprit here; it's something else. I'd be looking to my ISP as the source of the problem.

Having said that, if you want to try another email client, I suggest Windows Live Mail. If you download the file and start the installation and see options for installing other Windows Live components such as Messenger, Photo Gallery, etc., you can deselect those and just install the Mail component.

6. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

that's on my 'try it' list for today. we'll see, but I wonder what it really tells me, if anything, if WLMclient works. But, who knows... they may decide they like that deathly-pale glow of WLM [icckkk]

7. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

as to the ISP headers - i need a tutorial in what to look for. yes the incoming mail is there on the ISP's webmail account inbox. However, during the night I was thinking that it IS telling that if I UNCHECK the OE6 option to "leave a copy on the server", the mail is removed/deleted from the server even though it is nowhere to be found [so far as I now know] in the OE6 database. HOw does that happen?

Anyone know what sort of command gets generated by which that tells the mail server to nix the message that in fact does not show up in the inbox at OE6 client-side?????

8. Rogie

Rogie Private E-2

Another OE6 inbox problem.

New e-mails are not displaying in my inbox even thought clicking send/receive shows new e-mails being received. Moreover, no e-mails previously received and displayed for the past six months now are displayed in the inbox.

I am able to receive new e-mails at the Web sites of my Internet provider and on a server from my work e-mail. But not on OE6. Any suggestions to fix this or sites I can search for a solution.

Thanks.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Hey.......I'm just thinking...is your current view configured to HIDE messages?

You can configure OE to hide READ messages......maybe something along those lines.

10. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK.....you have OE configured to leave messages on the server normally, but you are finding that not all emails are being delivered. You turn off "leave messages on server" and the emails get deleted.

That would seem to indicate that the email server is thinking that it delivered the email and I'll bet it did. It has to be something to do with the presentation of emails in OE.

I don't have a machine with OE but I can set one up perhaps.....

11. Rogie

Rogie Private E-2

Current view is set to "show all messages."
    Any other ideas?

12. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

your issue sounds like a Rule in play to move incoming messages to another folder or something.
    [but consider the source...:-D]

13. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

OK, All
    I downloaded Windows Live Mail client and installed. fired it up and got the same effect. no messages from the "inner circle" in the inbox. messages from elsewhere OK.

But things are deteriorating: yesterday, if another group member sent an email address, I could go to the ISP via IE8, login for email/webmail, and see the message there. That is not true today. Now the messages are nowhere to be found. If a group member sends a message to my personal/business email, I get it just fine [but I am using livemail accounts].
    I'm now going to ask the ISP for a couple of new email addresses and try a "clean" start with those.

14. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Did you ever try it from another machine?

Did you ever try another POP3 email service? Just to see if the problem sill exists?

15. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Yes, trying from another machine produces same result. [a machine that is not used for anything much, just a spare].

By another service, you mean a different ISP/address I'm assuming. Yes, so far as I know, the ONLY emails that are affected are those using grande isp addresses, but I am about to try a test with brand newly-minted grande addresses, and see if they are similarly affected.
    thx!

16. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's not unknown in the UK for certain ISPs to be blocked by other ISPs, though I haven't heard of it for a year or three. This does sound similar though. Have you asked your ISP about it?

17. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

ok, little bit of 'progress'... maybe this will spark an idea in the collective overmind here:

I setup a fresh OE6 account on my office machine, remote from the troubled premises, but using one of the embattled email addresses. I was able then to receive test messages I sent from the battlezone using one of the ill machines. That is telling me something, but I'm not able to translate just yet.....

I also setup two new accounts at the ISP, and we whitelisted the whole domain. Looking back now, I sorta wished I had saved that whitelist step until a bit later, for debugging discipline reasons.

I will be firing off messages from the two new 'Test' accounts to see if they are similarly shutoff within a day or so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds