OUTLOOK SECURITY: Opening Level 1 Blocked Attachments

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kodo, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Level 1 attachments in Outlook are deemed EXTREMELY high risk files. i.e. the files that are mostly used to transmit malware (viruses, trojans,worms etc). I highly suggest you DO NOT do this but there may be times where you work with files ALL the time with certain extensions. Myself, I work with MS Access files quite a bit and some of my clients don't understand how to zip or even what a zip program is, so I have to deal with just sending and receiving the documents as a whole. Not being able to open them is a real nuisance, though I can't complain.

The following article shows you how to edit the registry to allow Level 1 attachments to be opened from an email in Outlook.

http://www.winxpcentral.com/troubleshooting/reclaim-attachments.php

REMEMBER!! back up your registry BEFORE making any modifications.

Here are the instructions if ever the site is not available.

• From the Start menu, select Run, enter regedit, and press Enter.
    • In the Registry Editor, double-click hkey_current_usersoftwaremicrosoftoffice10.0outlooksecurity
    • Click anywhere in the right pane of the Editor, then select Edit/New/String Value.
    • Enter Level1Remove as the name of the string value, then press Enter.
    • Right-click the Level1Remove string, and in the Value Data field, enter a list of the file extensions, each separated by a semicolon, for the formats you want to unblock. Click OK. (For example, if you entered exe;hlp, you'd unblock executable files and help files.)
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    if you're not into reg editing.. then there a utility that will do it for you :)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3925.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds