Outlook XP attatchment

Discussion in 'Software' started by Clandestiny, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Clandestiny

Clandestiny Private E-2

Ok, Im out of Ideas. My boss (uh oh) has estimates made in Excel XP emailed to him (Outlook XP) everyday from 6 locations.

Everything was working fine but now, 3 of the 6 attachments will not open nor save. When trying to save them, I get the error message, "Outlook could not save the file." which to me would indicate wrx permissions for the drive or directory.

When you try to Open Attachment, I get the error message "Cannot create file: [filename]. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions on the folder."

Ok, once again, this would indicate a permissions issue. Only problem is the account has Administrator rights for all drives and mapped drives.

Hard disk is not full and has about 4gig of space of 20.

System is Novell 5.x and WinXP with Office XP and McAfee Corperate.

Any ideas?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

can you save the file locally (C: Drive)?

3. Clandestiny

Clandestiny Private E-2

No. Cannot save to local drive (tried multiple folders to prove it was not a folder permission issue) or to network drives.

And I verified I CAN write to the hard disk by creating a new file and folder.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

ok then, after a bit of looking around, the problem may be caused by the outlook temp folder being full.

Make a test folder on your C: drive and follow the instructions below to point the temp file location to that newly created folder so we can determine if this is the case.

WARNING: PLEASE MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE CONTINUING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE.

1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
    2. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security
    3. Double-click OutlookSecureTempFolder to view the location Outlook uses to store attachments for viewing.
    4. Change the OutlookSecureTempFolder value data to the location you prefer, then click OK.
    5. Close the registry editor.
    6. Log off and log on for the change to take effect.

5. Clandestiny

Clandestiny Private E-2

Im sorry, I cant believe I forgot to put this in. Ok, during my troubleshooting. Forwarded the email with attachment to my box. Opened it, saved it on my computer. Attached it as a reply to the email he sent me. He can open it that way.

This is why I've gotten kinda confused.

The only thing I can think of (and someone brought this up also) is the permissions on the machine that it is coming from and when save it my permissions overwrite the originals.

Thx.
    Clan

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds