over riding passwords on newly purchased used IBM pcs

Discussion in 'Software' started by farfromgeek, Oct 14, 2009.

1. farfromgeek

farfromgeek Private E-2

I just purchased 4 IBM laptops from an auction. All will start up, however they have user names and request passwords that I do not have. Is there a way to bypass or change the password so I do not lose the software prviously installed. They are all W/98 or newer, I hwas told. This may be over my head. Sometimes what seems to be a good dealturns into a nightmare. I bought these to provide cheap loners for EIU students who do not have PCs.
    Farfromgeek

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you can not log in using safe mode, then I am afraid you will need to install new OS's on them.

3. farfromgeek

farfromgeek Private E-2

Please explain safe mode??

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

When you boot up...continually tap F8...you will be given a menu. Choose to boot to safe mode. If the computer does not have a password set for safe mode, you can then create a user account and access normal mode with that user.

5. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

Generally with Win98 a password is not needed, just hit the enter or esc button and go (at least all of my Win98 machines with password could be bypassed with just hitting enter or esc, been soooo long since I fired one up :) ).

6. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds