Over/under clock problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaybecile, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

Hey guys, i think i could use a little help.

I was looking into the possibility of overclocking my processor from it's stock 2.6Ghz, up to 2.8, so i could play the new guitar hero game. I've done a bunch of research on this and similar forums and was trying so programs because my system doesn't seem to come up with anything useful in the BIOS. Anyway, i don't remember finding a program taht would actually work, but after using cpu-z to check my processor specs, it showed that it was only running at 1.0 Ghz and the multiplyer was only 5. Unsure how this happened and hoping someone can give some informative advice. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

most likely culprit: AMD's cool-n-quiet technology (i think i got the labeling of it right).

It underclocks your CPU when it's full power isn't needed. Turning it off is a simple BIOS tweak. However, before instructions can be given, we need to know what BIOS you are running so we can give proper instructions.

3. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

Hey, so my bios is Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.05, 4/18/2007.
    Btw, running vista home premium if that makes any difference. Thanks.

4. TollhouseFrank

There are 2 ways to do this, with the BIOS method most likely the more reliable method.

On boot, hit the button it says to enter system setup/BIOS/CMOS. (wording differs from mobo manufucator to mobo manufacturer). When in there, go into power settings (or similarly named menu). You ought to find an option for cool n' quiet. Turn it off. Save settings and reboot. Blammo, you are now at full speed all the time.

The other method I found, but haven't tested myself is to go to the control panel (Start - Control Panel) and then assuming you haven't changed the control panel to classic mode, click on System and Maintenance, then Power Options. Turn it to Always On.

5. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

Hey man, thanks alot. Went to the power options and whamo...back to factory settings thanks man. Do you have any suggestions for trying to overclock my system up to 2.8Ghz....Thanks again bud.

6. TollhouseFrank

the best way is to get into your bios and tinker with it. Did you build your system yourself or did you buy it prebuilt? If prebuilt, who is the manufacturer?

7. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

It's a prebuilt Hp Pavillion n8000m from BestBuy.

8. TollhouseFrank

Ok. getting into the bios to tinker ain't gonna happen. HP is like all the major white-box builders.... they lock out all the fun functions to avoid curious people/overclockers burning up their systems and needing replacements.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download434.html

that is likely your ONLY option.

One more question. What CPU do you have? There is a possibility, depending on what CPU, that it can be pin-modded though there is a lot of risk in that (burning up the chip, and it DOES void your warranty

9. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

Ok, i have a AMD athlon 5200+ dual core....am2 slot i think.
    Ya i tried to find something fun to play with in the bios but wasn't any options for tinkering. My warranty was only 90 days cus it's a refurbished model...and that's up now.

10. TollhouseFrank

5200+? I'm not aware of any pin-mods for that. So, looks like the link to soft-fsb is your best bet.

11. jaybecile

jaybecile Private E-2

Ok, so i got softfsb from the link you sent. Cpu-Z tells me i have a Manufacturer: AsusTek motherboard... Model:Narra...and chipset/southbridge : nvidia MCP61 i was just wondering if you can tell me which target mainboard or what i select in softfsb to do some modifications? THanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds