overclock an old hp pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tat2d12000, Jun 27, 2006.

1. tat2d12000

tat2d12000 Private First Class

i'm running a hp 6736 667mhz celeron w/383 ram and sure would like to get some more out of it. my resources stay low and it is slow, so some pick me up is in order. any ideas besides trashing it for new stuff?

2. geekedittilitGHz

geekedittilitGHz <i>puto cum grano salis</i>

download programs like

clockgen
    cpufsb
    cpucool
    RM Clock
    RightMark CPU Clock utility

just google em and download em...
    im not sure if you can even overclock.... but try this first if not then you probably cannot overclock

3. tat2d12000

i just got rid of a bunch of malware. i think i'm done downloading anything for awhile. i've read some on doing it but it sounds like some folks never make it stable. stability good, instability bad.

4. geekedittilitGHz

none of these have malware... you just need to be more careful use Firefox... get a firewall

5. TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank Private First Class

A lot of it is just bad surfing habits that people are never taught how to break. Good surfing habits can mean a HUGE reduction in problems. You can surf online with IE WITHOUT a firewall and be 100% safe once you know how 99% of problems are created, and how to avoid them.

6. geekedittilitGHz

tru dat :)

7. tat2d12000

yeah its hard to know all this stuff if you grew up when programs were on punch cards.everything has been self-taught. trial and error is a crummy way to learn

8. geekedittilitGHz

it doesnt have to be trial and error...

9. tat2d12000

hey geeked- i have done some changin' and a little research and this is what i've come up with. the trigem cognac board i have has a coppermine celeron in it now. i can put in a 1.0ghz coppermine pentium III OR 1.1ghz coppermine celeron without changing anything else and it should work with ease. the mobo is supposed to detect the fsb of the chip. have you heard of this? and if that don't work, i've read that i can get an FC-PGA SOCKET370(COPPERMINE) TO A FC-PGA2(TUALATIN) adapter and put in even higher mhz processors. the board recognizes 66,100, and 133mhz FSB configs,so it should work. i have also read these are good overclockers but i can't figure out how to change these BIOS settings. i went into the BIOS and i could't even select these settings. no control, what gives? i read yesterday of overclocking a 600mhz(mine's 667mhz) to around 900 with great results. this tells me i have much more room to push this. maybe she ain't so old after all. oh, i forgot. i got hi speed and it's rippin' compared to sucky dial-up. this is sooooo much nicer.

10. geekedittilitGHz

go for the p3 i think it has more l2 cache

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds