Overclock Intel Core 2 Duo e6700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by overclocker123, Feb 11, 2007.

1. overclocker123

overclocker123 Private E-2

Greetings ;)

I would like to learn how to overclocked my processor as listed above. I understand the risk associated with doing this (destroying my processor, blue screens, void of warranty,etc...) but I'm willing to take a chance.

Please If you can

1.) list the steps needed to overclock
    2.) list (and link if possible) a reliable program I can use to overclock my processor
    3.) tell me the increased speeds I can use to overclock my processor safely.

I've checked the overclocked thread but it wasnt much help >.>
    -ALL FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED :)

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Go into your BIOS on bootup and raise the FSB and/or multiplier if you can. Your motherboard may have a lock on it preventing you from raising either.

There is no program to use, its all done in your mobo's BIOS on bootup.

Your RAM will determine what is the fastest and most stable speed you can run your processor at.

3. overclocker123

Yep, there's a lock on it. All greyed out :cry

Is there anyway I can unlock this?....

4. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Not unless you buy a new mobo.

5. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Depends on the mobo. On my P5B Deluxe the cpu options were greyed out until I set everything to "manual" in the bios.

First things first though, what are your specs?
    We know you've got the E6700, but on what mobo and with what kind of RAM? More importantly even, how are you planning on cooling it?
    Because trust me, an E6600/6700 will take a _lot_ of juice when you go past 3,6Ghz which means it'll produce more heat that needs to be attented to.

6. overclocker123

Intel Core 2 Duo e6700
    Asus P5B deluxe
    e-8800 GTX
    2 gb ddr corsair ram
    3 cooling fans
    700 watt PSU

So how do I set it to manual and what is the safest clock speed you've managed to achieve? :p

Thanks

7. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Here's a whole article on your motherboard and its unlocking and overclocking capabilities. You should find everything you need to know. :) Good luck and be careful! You don't want to fry that already great system.

8. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

9. overclocker123

I appreciate the link, and yes I understand that overclocking decreases the life span of your computer (but I plan to replace my system in 1-2 years:p ) But how do I set the manual option in the bios menu?

10. Anon-15281db623

I also have an ASUS motherboard but I'm not sure if our Bios are the same. For mine, I just go to the advanced tab, go down to jumper free configuration, and go to overclocking profiles. You can set it to manual and change everything yourself, or there is the option of letting the AI select the best settings and it allows you to overclock up to a 10% boost. Of course, you can go farther by using the manual setting.

11. overclocker123

Excellent, just got it and I've noticed a boost in performance all around. Kudos to you sir..If I was Bill Gates I've give ya 50 millions bucks :p

12. lowie57

lowie57 Private First Class

why the hell would u want to overclock one of these anyway? its got plenty of power.... i dont understand why u would want to OC this for a few extra figures, its quite pointless besides the wank factor imo

13. Anon-15281db623

It does seem pointless with that kind of power already in the system, but some people enjoy it. There is a certain thrill about pushing you system to it's limits. The hours spent testing, troubleshooting, and researching, all seem worth it if you manage to make your system perform better than it was built to. It's all a learning experience, successful or not.

14. overclocker123

Even though my system is relatively powerful I can still notice some lag in oblivion while in high particle areas (Bugs me..). And for some reason I lag while playing warhammer: mark of chaos (perhaps its a software thing). After I overclocked my system lag in oblivion is nonexistant. The fps in mark of chaos has also improved..Overall, hooray for overclocking it makes the quality of gaming even better.

15. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Same here.
    As for the most stable speed I've found, that's totally dependend upon yourself :p
    My E6600 has been up to 3,6Ghz, but the temps were a tad on the high side for me (58*C full load) so I dropped it back to 3,22Ghz w/ my ram @ Cas 3 timings.

16. overclocker123

Before this post falls into nonexistance I need to ask you a quick question Fleppen..Has overclocking ever corrupted any of your program files or is it relatively safe as long as you don't push your processor too hard?

17. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

As of yet I've not had any data corruption due to overclocking.
    I have however, burned 1 psu and 1 mobo as a result of pushing it too hard, so it's relatively safe but not completely without hazards.
    On my current setup, I've locked both the PCI-Express bus and the PCI bus, to respectively 100Mhz and 33,33Mhz.
    I've also disabled spread spectrum and I've manually set the timings for my RAM and voltages (as setting it to AUTO will come up with voltages of 1,5Vcore @ 3,2Ghz which is absurd).
    As a result of these settings the only thing that's being ran out of spec is the CPU. The I/O subsystem is running at the default speeds which makes it relatively safe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds