Overclocked CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RED_WINGS72@HOTMAIL.COM, Mar 3, 2007.

1. my cpu is always running overclocked. me and my friend tried:
    flashing bios
    more memory
    faster processor, with new heatsink
    updating the whole system (ie: windows update, hp update, etc.)

my computer still runs overclocked, at about 60%- 100% at any time. i look in Task Manager and it says all my processor usage is going to
    SYSTEM IDLE PROCESSES.

can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2007
  2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Apologies for saying this but you appear to have problems in respect of the terminology that you are using.

Overclocked is a term in respect of a cpu running over its stock setting and I gather from your post that you are not an overclocker.

What you appear to be saying is that your cpu seems to be running with some form of load which you say is from 60-100% even when your system is idle.

Firstly, in Task Manager the 'System Idle' process should be running at about 99% if you are just on the desktop with only the Task Manager running and therefore this is correct. Your system is idle.

In respect of your other comment that your cpu load / usage is running at anywhere between 60-100%, difficult to give you any specific advice but needless to say open the task manager again and see if any item is using cpu cycles, make a note of them and then post again.

Good Luck

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

If you changed out all of that hardware and cleared the bios, your system is not overclocked. The System Idle Process is the % of the CPU that is IDLE.

CLICK THIS!!!! its the very first hit when you google "System Idle Process".

:booger

[​IMG]

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Notwithstanding the above post, your idle is "What you are not using" I had some trouble understanding it myself at first when I didn't know how to Google, so I asked at a forum. It has nothing to do with overclocking as has been said.

5. hahah
    i know system idle process is what i'm not using. now let me explain further

i play warcraft 3. when i first got my computer, it would run smooth. really smooth. i'd have epic battles. battles bigger than the final battle on RETURN OF THE KING. now, when i play, i try to go veiw one of these epic battles and it gets laggy. FPS (as is frames per second NOT first person shooter) just drops. explain that.

also when i am just sitting and letting my computer run normally (with no background programs running except my basic stuff. ie: avg, msn, and the like) my taskmanager in the toolbar tells me my cpu is running at anywhere from 60- 100%. explain that.

i'm getting a new computer but i want this resolved so i can sell my computer for a good price. thanx for all the support.

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

have you checked background SERVICES? not programs. also, your startup programs/services? now, go back and see what program is REALLY using all your process power, NOT what it says by system idle process, unlike what u said earlier,
    do you regularly defrag?
    how much space is left on your hard drive?

it may not be a processor problem but rather a background process or a fragmented drive, causing ur processor to work harder.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds